The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reading Anthony's latest info on the SPB151J1 made me wonder has Seiko finally listened?

It is one thing to see their prices go up, another to admire their quality rasing the bar, but it was and is sadly at the loss of a certain down-to-earthness of the brand I loved. I dont care about owning any of those eye wateringly expensive watches: 62mas, 6215, 6159 whether reissues or not, but this one is...different.

Is this model the one that maybe we all wanted back in 2015 when not even the SRP 6309 reissues were around, and talk of the 6105 reissue was possibly at its height?

It would seem they have made a model that not only makes the SLA033 even less appealing to me, but also a model that if I was a buyer today looking for an original, it could or would put me off from bothering! Especially not at the prices that are speculated on Ebay where 50% of them are fakes or just very poor examples, as has been discussed to death many times.

This one? Well it has a charm about it I recognise as Seiko again. At a supposed 1k GBP or 1700 CAD I've seen somewhere, it is still more than I'd like to spend on one, but then again, maybe it is just about right. The case size is interesting at 42mm, ish.

In a way it is what I was expecting when I wanted Seiko to release a 6105 homage, hesitant as I was that I'd even like it at all, or that they would get it right. With the reissues missing the mark so often in my view, from aesthetics to the limited edition, forced exclusivity and pricing, maybe this restores a little faith, or at least I was taken so far beyond what I deemed acceptable that now I'm just happy Seiko offers a 6105 homage at a more reasonable price point no matter what.

And this is my dilemma, yes the lume is a bit bulgy and green, yes the hands are...different, yes it could be....better. However, it works for what it is, and I'm still trying to work out just why that is.

If second hand and available I'd be even more interested, possibly tempted to get one and relume it, put some old original hands on and see what we have. But then again, this is in its own right a 'proper' reasonably (comparatively speaking) priced Seiko.

At 600 to 800 dollars is what I'd want it to be, as we know these images often don't show these things in the best light, so despite these drawbacks I remain optimistic.

Optimistic, not a word I use a lot, but it is the word I suppose sums it up, optimistic that maybe Seiko finally showed they do have some compassion for those who wanted something to satisfy the need for a 6105, but could never justify the cost and rather disappointing feeling the SLA033 gave, mostly surrounding the limited edition aspect and pricing.

If I was wanting a 6105 today I'd likely go for one of these, and be just as content.

Picture credit to Anthony at plus9time.

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2020/3/5/prospex-seiko-march-2020-announcements

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
^^^I'm with you on this one, Guy.

I am cautiously optimistic for this model, and looking forwarding to seeing it in-person. I haven't felt that way about any of Seiko's recent offerings, but this one does check all the boxes mostly for me.

If it's at the price point you've heard, I'd personally be content with a new SPB151J1 vs. a vintage 6105.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I like it. I like it second hand, used,, on rubber, for a little less money, so I can slap a tire thread on it.

Rob

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Ah nuts, I knew I shouldn't have logged on today.....attention deficit disorder is at an all time high at the moment. Thought I'd be content with Mr Crusty & the Typhoon but uh oh....;)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Moral of the story is don't waste almost $4000 on a reissue with a 8L35. Wait a year or so and they'll put one out that may look better for a quarter of the price, with a 6r movement.

·
Special Member
2,681 Posts
I know this thread is about the New 6105 Reissue but I can't help but early speculate :eek:hmy:

I believe the SLA033 6105 Limited Edition Reissue (priced higher than current Vintage 6105s) significantly raised the prices for Vintage 6105s

I believe the SPB151J1 Reissue (if priced lower than current Vintage 6105s as expected) will likely lower the prices for Vintage 6105s

·
Special Member
1,349 Posts
Yep!

It's almost as if Seiko saw all the Merkur and Sharkey copies of original 6105's and said, "What the heck? Why should the aftermarket watch manufacturers have all the fun?"

Now, we'll have a real 6105 reissue that's a real Seiko and not an LE!

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great read, Guy! Thanks! Just glad Seiko used different handsets. All these new 55th Anniversary Models look amazing! Prices on the other hand, well that’s a whole new ball of wax altogether. Would be cool to see how they look and feel on the wrist though. Maybe pop in a boutique !! Straps look nice! Bracelet looks chunky SRP style! Or maybe not? Still think they nailed SBDC051 bracelet down! One of the best bracelets in recent times. I’m sure opinions will vary.

·
Administrator
29,719 Posts
It doesent look bad and a great price, for me I would of liked a bigger pip on the bezel, a flat second hand, a surround round the date window and a proper Seiko logo, H/M hands ok but not quite right, theres something about the hour markers but not sure what.

I would imagine it will be popular but.............only as another model that looks like the 6105, personally I would still prefer an original.

Its good that Seiko are trying though (imo).

·
Special Member
2,681 Posts
I like the Hour and Minute Hands. Single fold in the middle and pointed ends. Even the Titanium Samurai style Sweep Stoplight Seconds with longer needle end looks OK to me - it looks like it almost reaches all the way to the Minute Track.

The SLA033 Reissue was more faithful to the Original 6105 (Hands and Dial). This New SPB151J1 Reissue looks a bit more Modern and Updated to me.

·
Special Member
4,663 Posts
It doesent look bad and a great price, for me I would of liked a bigger pip on the bezel, a flat second hand, a surround round the date window and a proper Seiko logo, H/M hands ok but not quite right, theres something about the hour markers but not sure what.

I would imagine it will be popular but.............only as another model that looks like the 6105, personally I would still prefer an original.

Its good that Seiko are trying though (imo).

I appreciate what Seiko is doing as well. The crown guard covers almost half the case side but can’t be overly picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeh shame it isn't a 4 o'clock crown but still...I will look forward to seeing one of these in some real world pics and then figure out how much I'm interested.. :)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts