The Watch Site banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm curious how you managed to shatter that crystal considering it's pretty thick? Did you apply pressure using a smaller die directly on the crystal with a press? Well mistakes happen and I guess you know better now.

Also I believe these inserts are originally friction fitted. Most likely during assembly they are slanted more than usual and once in place they are pressed which makes it expand. I've done replacements before and had to use a crystal press to basically do the reverse.

I used a die directly on the crystal from one side while pushing on the retaining ring with a die from the other side .

I was able to use my crystal press to friction fit the insert in my 6309-7290 but couldn’t make it happen with this watch no matter how I tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I decided to reinstall the original bezel insert. Better pip color, and I like the idea of keeping the watch as original as possible. Here it is:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I went ahead and tried to replace the crystal and insert, and I think I made every mistake I could have possibly made.

First I tried to remove the original crystal without realizing I had to remove the retaining ring. As a result, the original crystal shattered :(.

Then I got a fingerprint on the inside of the replacement crystal, which proved impossible to completely remove without leaving microscopic dust in its place.

Then I tried to screw the case back on without realizing that the movement retaining ring was out of place and pushing on the crown stem. I kept wondering why the case back wouldn't screw all the way on. At the same time, the crown was changing the date in a position that should only have been changing the time. I'm lucky I didn't break the stem because I used quite a bit of force trying to screw the case back on.

Then I completely destroyed my best 7002 insert trying to get it installed in place of the original one. I eventually got another, significantly less nice 7002 insert installed but only after filing it down some to make it fit. I don't know what the correct way to get an insert snapped into place is. Nothing I tried worked except for filing.

On the positive side, the movement looked to be in pristine condition, and I'm pretty happy with the final result:

Well, the end result is something to be proud of, even if it was a headache getting there. Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, the end result is something to be proud of, even if it was a headache getting there. Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I do feel satisfaction in having done the work myself, and the next time I swap out a crystal on a 6309, it will go much more smoothly :).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Dial hands and Chapter Ring are so Clear Now Just Pops Out that I did not even Notice the Bezel. Yet I like that you Chose to Use her She really does have Character Or to say Her perfect Wabie you also seem to have inserted the insert Nicely . Russell

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Well done Amin that original insert is the best choice.

And you learned a lot doing the job. Breaking a few crystals and such along the way is part of the process we all did that sort of thing. I destroyed some new parts and never got crazy if I learned it's only when I know better and do the same mistake twice do I get mad at myself.

Congrats in the end you have a fantastic 6309 !

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thank you! I do feel satisfaction in having done the work myself, and the next time I swap out a crystal on a 6309, it will go much more smoothly :).
This endeavor of yours yielded very good results...on top of that, you were rewarded with this great sense of accomplishment...something to cherish for a long time!...congrats!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Amin what Ed B said about The Satisfaction of Your Effort and Success Greatest Meaning
As was mentioned many times past few days The DIAL has the Greatest Impact as we LOOK. I do believe this to be true. Of Course Hands, Bezel, Case all have there say, but are Quiet next to the Dial. imo. Russell

21 - 31 of 31 Posts