The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to lose one or more diashock cap jewels for every movement I work on. Are these available to buy? The part number for 6XXX movements is:

011 210 Diashock cap jewel

I've not found anywhere that has stocks of the original Seiko item, but I would be happy with a generic replacement instead. Does anybody know where they can be bought? Cousins? How do you measure and describe these blighters when purchasing?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Commonly referred to as a PITA.

Good tweezer always help avoid their disappearing act. If stuff is pinging out your tweezers its time for a new pair..........or do the work in a clear plastic bag to aid recovery.

Sorry no idea where to buy other than old movements.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They just seem to vanish. I put a pair of diashocks to soak in solvent (cap jewels, hole jewels, springs), I took them out again and presto-hey, one cap jewel is missing. Where did it go? Maybe I should start a new thread, ask if anybody has seen it?

Commonly referred to as a PITA.

Good tweezer always help avoid their disappearing act. If stuff is pinging out your tweezers its time for a new pair..........or do the work in a clear plastic bag to aid recovery.

Sorry no idea where to buy other than old movements.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The thing that amazes me is I put all the jewel parts in one tiny basket to go through my cleaner, that's jewel caps, bodies and springs. Despite all the components being put in the basket separately, after half an hours travel through three different solutions, being agitated back and forth with a fast spin after each solution, then a 5 minute spin above the drying element I'd say a good 80% of the time at least one of the cap jewels is located neatly in the body when I remove them. This happens whether they are in the basket on their own or have all the various bridge screws in with them. Bizzare eh?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The thing that amazes me is I put all the jewel parts in one tiny basket to go through my cleaner, that's jewel caps, bodies and springs. Despite all the components being put in the basket separately, after half an hours travel through three different solutions, being agitated back and forth with a fast spin after each solution, then a 5 minute spin above the drying element I'd say a good 80% of the time at least one of the cap jewels is located neatly in the body when I remove them. This happens whether they are in the basket on their own or have all the various bridge screws in with them. Bizzare eh?
Any more info on that cleaner Duncan - a decent setup is probably next on my list.

I find if they whizz off then you are applying to much pressure. Gently does it, a decent pair of twezzers and always something in the middle of the spring. Rodico to lift the jewels out.

It's the Diafix that get me....arghhhhh

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
My cleaner's an L&R Vari-Matic with ultrasonic attachment, 1974 vintage. It's built like a tank, all cast iron and aluminium, hydraulics and relays and it weighs a ton! It works by lifting the cleaning basket up, rotating the carousel to the first position with the cleaning solution jar, submerging the basket and agitating it backwards and forwards. Also once the basket's submerged it switches the ultrasonic system on and the green light on the panel illuminates to show it's in use. You can vary the length of time it spends in each position by tightening or slackening a thumbscrew located between each stage. Once it's had it's allotted time it lifts the basket out of the solution, spins it for a few seconds to get rid of any excess then continues to lift it clear of the jar. The carousel then rotates so the rinse jar is in position and the cycle repeats. It does the same for the final rinse, once that stage is finished it then it lowers the basket into a hole in the carousel above a heating element and spins it for a few minutes. If you look down the hole when the baskets in place you can see the element glowing red hot, once it's finished the basket has to cool down for a few minutes before you can unclip it. It gets the parts cleaner than any other system of jars, solutions and ultrasonic baths I used to use because of the agitation it imparts. A bonus is the parts are bone dry when it's finished. The chap I bought my one from said he used to do 100 cleans in between changing the solution, I don't get it to last that long though! The beauty is once the baskets loaded and the machines turned on you can busy yourself with other tasks whilst it gets on with it. An up to date automatic Elma Solvex is about £3,600 and a Griener is in the region of £9,600 (both inclusive of VAT), so if you can find a working one of these it's a big saving. Mine had a recent service before I bought it so hopefully it should be good for a few years yet.

There's a short video of mine in action here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMDRc1VM_E

They appear from time to time on eBay, I've seen them go for anything between £300 in poor condition with no ultrasonic attachment to £1,000 for a fully serviced one with all the attachments. You see more for sale in the states than you do over here but I shudder to think what the shipping costs would be! George Daniels used one of these so if it was good enough for him it'll certainly do me. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cousins do sell generic jewels. They do 100 assorted for £4.95 which seems very reasonable but I don't know if they'd be of any use?
They also sell Endstones which seem to be what I want, but I have no idea which ones to order and they seem very expensive, Steitz £9.95 for 3, or Kif £3.95 for 2.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks Duncan! Thats beautiful mate. I've seen a few come and go but in awful condition. That one looks spot on. Anyone sees or has one for sale maybe let me know.

Thanks for the diafix tips - I'll follow up on that!

Ah Mehima-singh :) ..............source of a few parts you don't normally find for sale. Nice guy but woeful website (which is good in a way).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just remember though that the frames and cap jewels are not all the same. The upper and lower frames typically have different part numbers and the thickness of the cap jewels can vary. For example, the balance cap jewel for a 6218 is considerably thicker than the equivalent cap jewel for a 6217 because of the presence of the micro-regulator on the former. If you fit a 6217 cap jewel to a 6218 balance then there will be no tension exerted by the spring and the balance arbor will not be kept properly in place during its to-ing and fro-ing.

Martin

Cheers, I'll try registering with mehima-singh. Borel want $4.30 EACH!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I never pick the buggers up with tweezers. Rodico only.

And I never take my eye off them during cleaning. You never know where the little shits might end up hiding.

I also say a prayer.

So far this has worked for me ;-)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I never pick the buggers up with tweezers. Rodico only.

And I never take my eye off them during cleaning. You never know where the little shits might end up hiding.

+1 to that Bubba.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is soooo easy -with good twizzers :D

Not so easy: hold camera at left hand and tweezers at right ...
Best, Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So.... mehima-singh quoted 1 euro each + 5 euro p&p, not a bad price, but instead I decided to buy a baker's dozen of ramon's scrap movements. Should yield about ten cap jewels plus a host of other bits for the same price as new jewels alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts