The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok deep breath time, my 6105 dial is in a sorry state, 99% of the minute markers have disappeared, so I'm thinking of getting some low tack fine tape and ever so carefully masking the dial to allow me to repaint the minute markers.
I'm reckoning on at least a weeks painstaking work just on the masking up, the raised parts of the minute markers are still visible so with some exceptional skill and patience, I think I might be able to complete the job, fingers crossed and a following wind. It's not a job I'm about to start straight away, but has anyone else attempted anything like this? If so have you any pointers for me? Cheers guys

·
Registered
156 Posts
The 6105 dial minute markers would have metal surrounds wouldn't it? If the metal surrounds are entirely missing, it wouldn't help to paint it.

A picture would help sir.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've touched in missing minute markers on various dials but I've never done the whole lot. When you mention the raised part of the minute marker do you mean the shadow of it's still there but no colour? If so you'll need some silver model paint, a black (fine) oiler, at least a x10 loupe and a steady hand. I wouldn't bother masking just apply the paint using the oiler onto where the shadow has left it's mark. Don't try to rush it and keep a steady hand. Like I said I've filled in a few missing markers using this method but never done a whole dial, and I don't think I'd want to to be honest!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have redone the black centre line on a set of hands for my 6106-8229 Rally diver and I can honestly say it was a very tedious task. At least half dozen passes before achieving something satisfactory. I tried various kinds of masking but settled on fine modelers masking tape. The problem is that with a line that fine (and what you are trying to do is even finer) there's not much paint to adhere to the surface and the masking tape wants to rip it off when you remove it.

I would experiment first before attempting the precious dial.

IMG_6422.jpg

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Your a brave man! There are some companies in the UK who do this professionally. I'm guessing anything from £80GBP to £130GBP to have a dial restored. They come back looking like new. I remember Duncan having a lovely restoration job done on a old dial recently.
I've touched in minute markers and it's not easy. One slip and you can really screw the dial up. A single blob of stray paint can act like paint stripper if your not super careful. I don't think masking tape would work as there is no primer under this dial paint so the original paint can peal off real easy. I've buggered up two dials so far but easy to replace dials not like on a 6105. I'm not saying don't try it yourself but only do so if your prepared to write it off completely.

Just my opinion anyway.

Good luck!

T

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I spoke to a company in the UK about a dial restore a while back, because they hadent got the dial in there records they wanted £125 for the template which remained your property and about £65 per dial after that.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I spoke to a company in the UK about a dial restore a while back, because they hadent got the dial in there records they wanted £125 for the template which remained your property and about £65 per dial after that.
That is not terrible though really when you consider the value of a 6105 and the fact it will still be with it's original dial even though repainted. You could always charge a fee to have others done for folk to get your initial fee back. I'd rather have the original dial repainted than a brand new dial any day but then that's probably the antique clock guy talking.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
That is not terrible though really when you consider the value of a 6105 and the fact it will still be with it's original dial even though repainted. You could always charge a fee to have others done for folk to get your initial fee back. I'd rather have the original dial repainted than a brand new dial any day but then that's probably the antique clock guy talking.

I agree on all points Tony but...................I would still prefer a 100% untouched mint original dial :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you getting mixed up with the hour marker ? the min markers run round the outside of the dial.
OMG! I sure did sir! My bad, my bad. Was replying on the iPad over beers. :(

My humble suggestion which I think might help here.

Actually, in another forum which I'm in, there's a practice of using pad printing to produce printed dials. I remember a lot of it is done in Indonesia. There might be someone that could get a template done up over there and perhaps save a whole bunch of distressed dials.

This could even be a resource for our forum here. Maybe get a bunch of templates done there for the popular models (6105, 6309 etc) and its a matter of sending blank / distressed dials over for the printing, and sticking back the metal hour markers (on the 6105 in this instance) back when its sent back.

That is, of course, if the owner of the dial is pro refinishing. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
26,038 Posts
OMG! I sure did sir! My bad, my bad. Was replying on the iPad over beers. :(

My humble suggestion which I think might help here.

Actually, in another forum which I'm in, there's a practice of using pad printing to produce printed dials. I remember a lot of it is done in Indonesia. There might be someone that could get a template done up over there and perhaps save a whole bunch of distressed dials.

This could even be a resource for our forum here. Maybe get a bunch of templates done there for the popular models (6105, 6309 etc) and its a matter of sending blank / distressed dials over for the printing, and sticking back the metal hour markers (on the 6105 in this instance) back when its sent back.

That is, of course, if the owner of the dial is pro refinishing. Just my 2 cents worth.
The 6105 minute markers are stamped in the dial with a chrome like finish. There is no removal and reapplying of these markers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry guys, been away with work and only sticking my head above the parapet once in awhile, many thanks for the interest and replies, I made a glaring mistake in my post, that of I meant to say second markers and not minute markers, as you can see from the picture 95% of them are now no longer there, masking up I think is probably the only way to do this job even with an extra fine oiler. I've got the correct colour silver from a pen if all places.

It's going to be very time consuming and will try my patience but hopefully worth it, I will only do it when on my own in the house as this unlike stripping the movement will not allow any interruptions from the significant other!!!!

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I wouldent know were to start masking something as small as a dial good luck :(

You know you have the replacement hands there ?

I think it would be fair to say the markers are min and second markers but more commonly known as min markers ?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Replacement hands? No I didn't, how can you tell mate, I got the watch in a tin in bits from my old watchsmith friend, I've got it back together and running, just waiting on a few parts to complete it.
Looking at other 6105s the markers stand out really well on the chamfered edge of the crystal, but on mine it looks really empty and basically wrong.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Replacement hands? No I didn't, how can you tell mate, I got the watch in a tin in bits from my old watchsmith friend, I've got it back together and running, just waiting on a few parts to complete it.
Looking at other 6105s the markers stand out really well on the chamfered edge of the crystal, but on mine it looks really empty and basically wrong.
Just pull up a few pictures and you will see the original and the Seiko replacement hands like yours.

I would be interested to see a picture of the dial when you have it masked up (please).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts