The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends, well, I did it, I destroyed a perfectly good watch today. I was modding away a SNZH55 for a friend. Got a great dial from Yobokeis, cut the mounts, sanded away, and here's where I screwed up.

I thought I could use jewelers epoxy to stick the sucker down. It worked fine a dial I did earlier, I was just as careful, BUT daddy got COCKY, got fast, got messy, it got on the dial, then on the date wheel. No recovery. Dial, ruined, movement, well, ruined.

I am totally defeated.

There's money down the drain, I am switching to dial dots. I thought Epoxy would be a better solution, shame on me.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Oh dear,

If you are going to use glue I have found contact adhesive (Evostik in blighty) is as good as anything because it retains some flexibility for fine tune aligning before going off but more importantly in situations like yours it can be removed from movement parts easily when dry, it peels off. Also if you have to take the dial off later for servicing or you may wish to try another dial it will come off with little trouble.

A lot of modders stay away from gluing on dials and swear by dial dots but I find them a pain to use and sometimes they are too thick to re-case the movement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which Evostik...

Thanks so much for the advice! I welcome it! And, my wife was very supportive as well, I will learn from this and move on.

What Evostik do you recommend? I found some 2 part Evostik stuff that looked even faster than the jeweler epoxy I was using, 90 sec to 4 min?

Thanks!!

Bryan

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have ruined many watches. Some totally, some just bad enough to ruin my day. It usually involves me not taking the proper time and trying to rush something that should be done very slowly. One comes to mind, when I was removing a crystal from a minty 6105 and put a nice scratch right across the dial. Oh, what a terrible feeling that was :(

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Jeez Larry that sounds like a life changing moment! :)

I have damaged a lot of parts, mostly balances, and plenty of mainsprings have gone the journey. I've also practiced destroying a few 7 series dials, 7002-7000 and SKX... Good fun! ;)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oof...I've been there (I think we all have at some point). Once I had a watch all re-assembled, greased the back gasket, and took one last look at the dial and saw some dust that needed a puff of air. I pulled the dial/movement out, quick puff of air, and was reinstalling then dial/movement hastily when I slipped. Silicon grease all over a perfectly minty SKX dial - no matter how hard I try, still some slick-looking spots on the dial. Oh well...gives me a spare dial to practice my aging/premature-patina techniques on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
:73: I think there ought to be a place on this forum where we can all come to confess our mistakes and seek absolution.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I use G S Hypo Cement, which is like Mike's (pollyc) recommendations. The glue peels off easy once dry.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
:73: I think there ought to be a place on this forum where we can all come to confess our mistakes and seek absolution.
Great idea, that. Let me confess too. Have broken the balance staff on a 1940 Elgin I was cleaning (stupidly dropped it). Have ruined a Ricoh Day-Date lookalike by inadvertently poking a fine screwdriver into the hairsrping (I was trying to adjust it but my hand slipped). Ruined a Tugaris dial by using Autosol applied to a fine artist's brush - the words "Automatic" and "Swiss" came away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts