The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
consists of delivering a therapeutic dose of electrical energy to the heart with a device called a defibrillator.

Well I have been messing with my 7548 that arrived today, all vital organs checked out ok after a little clean and minor repair to battery strap and replacement of the missing screw but no visual signs of life.

So a quick burst on the defibrillator/Demagnetize'r :) and all vital signs restored and she has been running like a champ for the last couple of hours ?

In my heart of hearts I know that this should only be a temporary cure and really a total strip and service should be the order of the day but.................we will see :)

I bought this because I thought the dial and hands looked good and they are, I fancied a pepsi diver because I havent got one and the Pepsi bezel looked decent and in the flesh it is even better because the "damage" at the 11 position was just dirt :)

So once the case comes out of the ultrasonic it will be a new crystal and gaskets and hopefully good to go, not cheap(imo) but nice, again imo :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
John, you are a "man of many talents" (and I am sure your wife says the same)! :)

Electrician, machinist, artist and philosopher! :eek:hmy:

Like the old Punjabi saying, "The Tiger has many teeth, and he uses them all." ;)

- Thomas

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
They look Great John

And more added to the Flock. Those look nice and when all are ticking
the house might ......... " Rock and Roll " a little. Better hold on.
That Chrono. looks real clean. 7548 also is it a ....
" TST " in the making ?:bowing::08:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Got to try this trick (4 t's on a row ) on a Victorinox watch that I really like. This one died on me after only 2-3 years of light use....

Cool trick Mr. Tiger

Hernán
Enviado desde mi iPad

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you do it John ?

Barry
Hi Barry,

If a quartz CB and coil check out ok it can often be that the movement wants a spin because perhaps the oil/gears are a little stuck with age/standing and by passing the watch over a demagnetiser the hands will spin if no major problems and this is often enough to kick start a "old" movement.

There are a lot of quartz testers that apart from checking the coil etc will perform this action as well and only cost around the £30/40 mark.

I believe Bob uses one.

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well been wearing this one now for almost a day and running spot on so all good.

New gaskets and a good but not new OEM crystal, clean up and i like it.

Dial and hands very decent, small amount of wabbie on the 5 marker (can live with that).

Crown and tube like new, case in a very good but used condition (not abused) and i think this is the first vintage dive watch i have had that has perfect spring bar holes in the lugs, strange but not distorted at all, must have had the correct spring bars all its life and i don't think this watch has been worn that much which is evident by the state of the Pepsi bezel.

A vintage GL831 completes the "package".

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
wow..love that one Tiger...i have a quick technical question...is it a good idea to have a defibrillator/Demagnetize'r?....love that 7548..looks like i will be looking for one of them now....

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks John. I had no idea that would work - never heard of it before. mmm Demagnetiser required me thinks.

How does it work - what happens by demagnetising teh watch to bring it back to life?

Would something like this suffice:

http://uk.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/151894107-40.jpg
This is the one i use Barry, only a cheapy but dose the job, how or why the hands spin to be honest i don't really know, as you pass anything across a demagger you get "vibration" but how it actually makes the hands spin i really don't know, hopefully a techy guy will tell us :)

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow..love that one Tiger...i have a quick technical question...is it a good idea to have a Demagnetize'r?....love that 7548..looks like i will be looking for one of them now....
Handy bit of kit, not just for watches but screw drivers or anything that becomes magnetic.

·
Craftsman
548 Posts
This is the one i use Barry, only a cheapy but dose the job, how or why the hands spin to be honest i don't really know, as you pass anything across a demagger you get "vibration" but how it actually makes the hands spin i really don't know, hopefully a techy guy will tell us :)

I assume that the demagnetiser is a strong fluctuating (and diminishing) magnetic field. This field will cause the step rotor to rotate as it would normally when driven by the coil generating a magnetic field in the rotor stator. I think .......

·
Administrator
33,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I assume that the demagnetiser is a strong fluctuating (and diminishing) magnetic field. This field will cause the step rotor to rotate as it would normally when driven by the coil generating a magnetic field in the rotor stator. I think .......
Thank you, I was not giving the stepper any thought :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts