The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Special Member
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Normally I do not like to mod watches and would never attempt this with a salvagable 6105-811X Diver - they are just too valuable and hard to find in any condition. The 6105-811X is my favorite Diver and am lucky to own 5 - all with 100% original parts (except new crystals, bracelets, and waffles). I think the original 6105-811X design is perfect and cannot be improved in any way. I am also a big fan of Seiko's radiant blue dials as they remind me of the ocean. I used to live in Hawaii and always enjoyed the changing colors of the Hawaiian coast - deep dark blue at dusk and brilliant blue in bright sunlight. And NO ONE does electric Blue like Seiko. About six months ago a reasonably priced 6105-8119 case came up for sale on the trade forum and rather than wait for an original movement, dial, and hands to turn up I thought it would make a nice change to see a 6105 with a blue dial so I dove right in and here is the final result:

Deep Sea Blue Diver:

-6105-8119 case.
-6105 chapter ring painted royal metallic blue to match the dial
-Seiko 6159-7010 Auto Tuna aftermarket hand set from Yobokies
-Original 6105 Bezel with SBBN007 Tuna Stainless Steel Bezel Insert that was just laying around in a parts bin
-Seiko 6309-8019 Radiant Blue Dial with raised lume wells (earlier SUWA made in Japan version without the 5 on the dial)
-NOS Seiko 6309 Automatic movement
-Jonathan Swedefreak 6105 crystal
-Original 6105 caseback
-Original 6105 Crown with stem modified to fit the 6309 movement
-All New Gaskets
-Seiko 22mm tapering to 20mm at the clasp Bracelet with Yobokies 6105 SEL
-All the modifications and assembly was completed by Duarte Mendonca at NEWW. Duarte did an amazing job assembling all the various parts. He also modified the stem and painted the chapter ring

This was truly an international SCWF community project and I would like to Thank all the forum members who generously donated their time, experience, guidance, and spare parts. Many Thanks to Sam (feca67) for providing the inspiration and guidance as he showed me the way by using the 6309-8019 dial and 6159 hand set in a very similar mod he created with a 6309 diver case. Sam was also able to locate the blue dial donor watch for me on ebay. Without Sam this watch would have never been made. Thank you Sam.

Also many thanks to our spiritual leader John the TigerUK for all his help and assistance and for this wonderful forum, Gordon in Australia for the Case Parts, Jonathan Koch for creating "Babe the Blue DX" (early blue dial 6105 mod) and for the crystal (RIP you are missed), John (georgelazenby) and DAHASCO for the window frames, Chuen in Singapore for the caseback, Tom for the crystal gasket, Harold YOBOKIES for the hand set and SEL, and Duarte at NEWW for the assembly and modifications. Thank You and Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I think it turned out wonderfully. I'm guessing that will be a keeper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's a looker mate.

Me: "WRUW while drinking?"
Quotron: "If I do it right.... nothing."

Me and my watches on IG: eyy_ron

For sale:
Steinhart OVM

·
Craftsman
3,714 Posts
Great Watch Kyle! I love Seiko's blue dials!

I was wondering how you made out with the gasket......;)

Here's a mod I did with a 6309

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
That's stunning, only thing i'm not sold on is the bezel insert, can't help wondering how it would look with a pepsi? I think a pepsi 6105 would be awesome.....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Glad to have been able to help - a great success. A super example of how to execute a top notch mod project, well done.

·
Special Member
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys for all your kind comments. I read somewhere that the best watch is the one that makes you the happiest. This one brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. You know you have a keeper when you keep looking down at the dial and you're not even interested in what time it is. All the stainless steel from the case, bezel insert, hour markers, hands, and bracelet make the watch very bright and uplifting. Even the minute marks light up when the sun hits it. I wish I could do a better job photographing the Seiko Sunburst Blue dial - very dark Sapphire blue in low level light but when taken out in the direct sunlight - BOOM! The entire watch just explodes in light and color and I feel I am immediately back in Hawaii staring at the Big Blue. I'll try to get an outdoor shot for the full sunburst effect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts