The Watch Site banner

Which is more important to you, decoration on watch movement or accuracy of movement?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was discussed on another forum and I was wondering how others felt about this. Which do you prefer, accuracy or decoration?

As well as the poll, can you please leave comments about your preference..

In line with this is also the idea about whether having a display caseback is a thing you look for or not..

Cheers

·
Registered
822 Posts
Give me accuracy over decoration any time. Better still, give me accuracy AND decoration! ;D

No point in having a display back unless the movement is decorated, imho. Unless you really like looking at plain bits of stamped sheet metal.......

Come to think of it, there is one advantage of a display back with the newer plain jane 7S26B movements -- you can easily confirm that it IS the hairspring coils hooked up yet again when your watch starts running crazily fast all of a sudden..... ::)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I usually wear a different watch every week. Sometimes I find myself wearing a watch which has sat for several months, this can backfire when a watch which has worked fine before appears to have developed 'issues'. I have also found myself wearing a watch which HAD problems the last time I wore it, but which I had forgotten (the 'I'll get around to fixing it' syndrome). Not being able to be hand-wound doesn't help Seikos.

Therefore I find myself using 3rd party timepieces..such as clocks, car-clocks and handphones to double check my watch. As such, to me a watch is not so much a tool but a fashion accessory. I have several watches which run a few minutes fast a day but I can accept this as they have unique movements and if I try to regulate/COA it might make things worse :) .

Knowing that the longines I am wearing has the cal 990 gives me a warm feeling inside, even though it runs 3 minutes fast a day (this calibre has a micrometer regulator). Likewise the Mido Powerwind I wore yesterday with the 917PC movement, very agricutural but workable bumper automatic which has a long history (and another oddball regulator which is why it is running fast).

My respect for Seikos is for the quality of their design. Those of you who have worked on Swiss watches will have to admire the basic simplicity of Seiko's movement design. The simplicity and robustness of their magic-lever is amazing. I have not have much problems with the screws on Seikos, whereas on Swiss watches and even Citizens, I can count on broken/rusted screws in cases where there has been water ingress.

Cheers,
Anil Nair
Port Dickson, Malaysia

·
Registered
186 Posts
anzac1957 said:
This was discussed on another forum and I was wondering how others felt about this. Which do you prefer, accuracy or decoration?

As well as the poll, can you please leave comments about your preference..

In line with this is also the idea about whether having a display caseback is a thing you look for or not..

Cheers
I find that both can add to the enjoyment of my watch collection. Display backs are not a feature I would seek out per se. They can be a good idea if the give a window on an attractively decorated movement and if the watch maker took the time to dsign the back to add no more height than a solid one.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I would say decoration is more important because you can always have a watch regulated at a minimal expense, but nobody is going to have the movement decorated if it didn't come that way.

There's nothing uglier than an undecorated movement.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have to have both. A good looking watch that doesn't keep good time won't see much wrist time form me. Like wise a watch that keeps good time but is not pleasing to my eye, also, wil not see much wrist time.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Being my first love was Vintage Pocket watches, the Demaskening??? is a Thing of ART a thing of Exceptional Beauty. That I leave to the P.W.

My love for Vintage Seiko s , and there Unbelievable Accuracy, has Transcended my appreciation for the Mvts Possible beauty.

The best example I can offer is the 6159-7001 Having a One Pc Case never really seeing the movement, Until this week, when I was Gifted with
being able to Have in my possession, for a few weeks a MINTY 1969 --6159-7001 Sent to me , with the kindness that only another
Wis could take on, giving me the Chance, I may never have had, to see, hold and wear, this imho "the most Beautiful of all Seiko Divers, ever made.

This and seeing Alvins 6215-7000 Pics of the Mvt so Beautiful, yet may never see light again, after her servicing, and Watter Proofing Pressure testing etc

I have one Wristwatch that offers both, bought before my first SEIKO A NIB GLYCINE Eugine Meylan -3835.29A W/ ETA2895-1 mvt She has a display
case back. Funny you asked, about casebacks I sometimes lose the sence of time, when looking at a Illinois Bunn Special 61" 23 J PW Mvt Having
to take the Case back off, and just get Mesmerized by the Beauty and Accuracy of a 85 year old mvt appearing as NEW

Point The Absolute Beauty of this Watch, the 6159-7001 with it's Accuracy, and timeless cosmetic beauty, makes the Point for me,
Mvt beauty or accuracy hard to answer, w/o taking into consideration The Rest of the appeal of the watch.

Yet if you gave me the most accurate Seiko ever made, and I did not Like the Case, dial, hands, etc I would pass on it for a Watch I loved to look at.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I didn't vote however in many circles the decoration is one of the things they use to justify the price of the watch even though you can get decoration for a song on many movements. In general though decoration goes hand in hand with price. Whether the watch has a display back or not is of no concern to me I think decoration is the least they can do considering what they charge for most watches these days. Of course with watches like the 7S26 and similar the price dictates what you're getting for your money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts