The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well always wondered, what is the determining factor, between restoration vs modding? Stock or custom? How does one decide?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Personally, I think any restoration involving AM replacement over a crystal and few gaskets is going into custom territory. Then there's the all original OEM parts vs Original to the watch, which is a bit of a grey area as you'd have to take someone's word for it. To me it doesn't matter aslong as the parts are all original and belong in the same period.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Personally, I think any restoration involving AM replacement over a crystal and few gaskets is going into custom territory. Then there's the all original OEM parts vs Original to the watch, which is a bit of a grey area as you'd have to take someone's word for it. To me it doesn't matter aslong as the parts are all original and belong in the same period.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

I think you are confusing mod with restoration. The purpose of a watch mod is to deliberately change the look or function of a watch from original to something else.

Restoring a watch can involve, original or AM parts that have the same specifications as the original watch. Replacing a worn out component with a 1:1 (or as close as possible) reproduction is still a restoration. A small group of people will bang on about if it's an AM or non original part it's fake or counterfeit, but that's not how the world of restoration works. I'm not just talking about watches, it's the same for guns, paintings, cars etc...

As for when to mod, its a personal thing. For me the time to mode is when the mod will make you happier than the original.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts