The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a citizen Nighthawk....which I love, but it stopped. I bought it second hand, so it could be over five years old, so I assume it needs a new capacitor. I have left it in the sun for days with the stem out and nothing.

So my question is, is this an easy do it your self job? Should send it to citizen or a watchmaker?

Here she is in all her former glory

Rick

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Afaik
If you hold it under a direct bright light it should run even if the cap is completely dead
I've done a couple of other Eco's- quite straight forward

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that's not good. I have kept it under a bright lamp for a few hours and nada. What else could it be?

Rick

·
Special Member
1,903 Posts
Lewie is right: I had the capacitor out in one while replacing it, bumped the stem back in, and it started ticking just given the ambient light in a sunny kitchen.

If you have a tool to open the case back, you should be all set. Just take care to ensure the rubber gasket is properly in place when you put the back back on.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I could be wrong but I think they may even run without the cap installed
Have you tried the reset function?
Try holding about 1cm away from a fluorescent light.
Has it been 2 second ticking- my daughter eco is running low- in her uni house (quite dark room) it will not run- left on my pc destroy it started ticking yesterday albeit 2 seconds at a time

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help, but it doesn't look good. I tried resetting (setting the time, keep crown out for 30 seconds) and nothing. I guess I will be sending off to citizen.

Rick

·
Special Member
1,903 Posts
Only other thing I could think of is corrosion on the battery/capacitor terminal. Not likely as the case is waterproof, but it caused a hamilton quartz with a snap back that I have to stop running. Of course, this raises the question as to whether capacitors corrode over time like batteries can (I don't actually know the answer to that).

Sending to citizen is probably best. I've had good experiences with them - I hope you do too! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I would give you guys an update. I sent it off to Citizen and the replaced the movement for no charge! My baby is back home safe, sound and ticking strong. Thanks for your help!

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently serviced an old 7878a caliber (first ecodrive movement with solar cell from a diver, and I cleaned all the electric contacts with no luck, so I finally oiled it and finally it worked.
I was also concerned for the leakage issue, and was the first eco I serviced, looks like the cell is ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, I meant first ecodrive movement with solar cells behind of the dial, although the dial is not really impressive...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts