The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sushi with a bad movement, and I decided swapping in a movement from a EBay 6119 ($20) was cheaper than sending it off for a servicing. Only issue is the donor movement has a white day/date wheel combo, my sushi has black.

Question is because everything I touch seems to go to s^&t lately (despite being reasonably mechanically inclined), so how hard is it to swap the day/date wheels? Any instructional videos out there? I assume there's a circlip (C-ring) I'll have to deal with?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's easy man, that was the first "real" bit of watchmaking I did. I remember feeling like a bit of a hero when I was done. All you need to do it pull the hands, pull the dial, remove the circlip, lift off the old day wheel. At that pint you will see flat..parts.. that have the finger for the day wheel and hold on the date wheel. Take the 4 (or maybe 3?) screws out of the flat parts and lift them aside. Now you can take off the date wheel. DON'T lose the spring corrector thing! You will see it, it's small. I usually just leave it on there. Then just put it all back together, the day wheel you can press on and turn to get it to slip into place, or I like to use fine tweezers to move the finger back into place onto the star myself.

Easy! Once you do that you will start to service your own movements because you won't trust the $20.00 Ebay ones anymore. Trust me, you can do this, it's really easy once you get into it.

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
I'm a ham fisted oaf with only two tools and I've done this so it can't be too tricky!

Sent via t'interweb thingy using magic n stuff....

·
Administrator
33,982 Posts
Forgive me Stan but i am going to be the "wet blanket" :) if you have never done this operation before then I would be VERY wary.

Even a simple operation like this can end in tears, honest.

A little list of what could go wrong, not saying it will but could !! :)

• Lost screws.
  • Damage to dial.
  • Damage to hands.
  • Damage to day star snap.
  • Damage to day/date wheel.
  • Damage to movement.
  • Damage to case back.
  • Damage to mental health :)

Just for starters but please don't let it worry you !! :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgive me Stan but i am going to be the "wet blanket" :) if you have never done this operation before then I would be VERY wary.

Even a simple operation like this can end in tears, honest.

A little list of what could go wrong, not saying it will but could !! :)

• Lost screws.
  • Damage to dial.
  • Damage to hands.
  • Damage to day star snap.
  • Damage to day/date wheel.
  • Damage to movement.
  • Damage to case back.
  • Damage to mental health :)

Just for starters but please don't let it worry you !! :)
:) I guess the real question then is, who get's to fix this after I screw it up?

·
Craftsman
565 Posts
When I got into 'tinkering' about 3 years ago (tbh I can't quite remember when, it seems like a lifetime ago already!!) this was my first real challenge.

Getting the hands off (with the correct tool) was surprisingly easy. The same for the strip down of the dial side components (it was a defective 7A38).

What was really tricky was getting the day disk back on and moving the finger spring aside so that it was lying flat and the finger spring was engaged correctly with the day star.

This took me several hours. Now I can do it in 30 seconds flat.

The other tricky part is getting the c-clip off without damaging anything or losing it. I haven't lost one yet, but in those early days I came very very close. I once hunted for over an hour for it after it had pinged off. I found it under the cushion of the chair I was sitting on!! To this day I can't see how it got there (magic!!).

What you're attempting is definitely very very doable for a beginner (I've proved that).

But as John says, there is risk.

Your friend is google and places like this and those who have trod the steps you're about to take.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Awesome thread. About 7 days too late for me. I've just put a black day date wheel in a 7548 as the day date mechanism was jammed. The screw in plates and clips are pretty hardy but as Alan said the day wheel drove me insane. It needs to sit flat in there otherwise your day wheel will be out of sync.
I'd recommend downloading one of the Seiko technical PDFs on here that shows an expanded view of the parts first. Then you know for sure where they go and how they align (like the date/day changing Cam thingy)
I have great delight in seeing my 7548 tick over every day now. Even though it's sitting in my to complete desk (awaiting Crystal and new hands) I still check it to see its flicked over! So satisfying.
By removing the day date off your original movement it will give you much more confidence.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I got into 'tinkering' about 3 years ago (tbh
What was really tricky was getting the day disk back on and moving the finger spring aside so that it was lying flat and the finger spring was engaged correctly with the day star.

This took me several hours. Now I can do it in 30 seconds flat.
Can anyone provide pics of what I'm looking at with regard to this part/step of it? Arrows, diagrams, hints on how to make this go better?

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Can anyone provide pics of what I'm looking at with regard to this part/step of it? Arrows, diagrams, hints on how to make this go better?
Ill do my best but am not very good at explaining.
You need to engage the day wheel finger into the little cog on the back of the day wheel.
My method is to drop the day wheel onto the movement, it will be slightly lopsided, I.E not flush all the way round with the date wheel, one side will be raised slightly because the day wheel finger will be sitting underneath the day wheel cog. I then insert a very fine oilr pin between the spokes of the day wheel and push the finger outwards until its clear of the day wheel cog and then release it so it engages between the day wheel gear teeth. Just to make sure its engaged i push the daywheel round by 1 day and check that the wheel springs into position and is aligned correctly with the date, then fit the snap ring.
You need to work out where the finger is in relation to the day wheel cog so you know where to put the oiler pin.

Watch Fashion accessory Silver Jewellery Watch accessory

Insert fine oiler pin through one of these spokes to push the day finger outwards

Watch Gauge Fashion accessory Measuring instrument Watch accessory

Best i can do on a Sat night when ive been out with my old drinking partner Jim (Beam)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Agreed, that's what I do except I use fine tweezers. Once you release the fine the wheel Will line itself up correctly if everything is in sync. If all else fails push down and turn counterclockwise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts