The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone Collect Date Only or No Day/Date Watches ? I am getting away from D/D Watches...Date Only from now on :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I have a preference for either date only or no date dive watches.
D/D seems a bit out of place and take too much real estate from the dial on dive watches IMO

·
Registered
SEIKO 6105-8110 150m Diver PROOF
1,104 Posts
+1
Date only dial is more balanced and elegant, JMO.

·
Special Member
5,318 Posts
Hi, Day and Date for me, if I had to choose......:rolleyes:......Bob.

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
To be honest I could never really see the point of the Day on the dial, date yes but Day ???

But since I have been retired I find the day quite useful in fact more important than the date :)

·
Special Member
5,318 Posts
When retired all the days are the same, so day id is very important, you know what I mean John.......Bob.

·
Registered
205 Posts
One of my fav's and all it does is tell the time :)

That's a beaut!

Yeah date only or no date for me please... Though I'd like a day only for the novelty value. There's a dagaz/yobokies (extremely) niche product suggestion right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,889 Posts
Love Em all !

Have several with no day or date at al (most notably my Lord Marvel 36,000 bph), several with Date only (like the 7005s). Certainly less makes for a clean beautiful dial.

That said, the date and day simply seems to me to be preferable. Why not ?

·
Craftsman
4,015 Posts
To be honest I could never really see the point of the Day on the dial, date yes but Day ???

But since I have been retired I find the day quite useful in fact more important than the date :)
As time goes on and you get older John, Your probably going to need the AM -PM feature on your watch.

I still get a good Chuckle thinking back when I was caring for my Dad who was 90. When he would get up at 1 or 2am to use the rest room you'd have to be Johnny on the spot to let him know what time it really was before he was fully dressed and had his bed made. Even though it was pitch black outside his windows, he would ask me, after looking at the clock, Is it AM or PM...... :)
A little exhausting at the time but now wonderful memories......

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ouch, that kinda hits a little close to home. I'm starting to go through the same thing myself, with both parents. And it's a little . . . painful - SP, I think you know what I mean. About the date only or D/D, I have all 3 kinds. But, lately I've been finding that working for yourself is kind of like being retired - after a while you begin to loose track of which day of the week it is. That's when a watch with D/D comes in really handy. But then again, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

John the (Day) part of it tells is older guys that the days are going
" Full Speed A Head ", and the (Date) does not worry about it and not notice anything at all.
For us its ........ " All About The Time Left " ,not how many days have to come or have passed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Date only or no date for me. Although I've actually bought several lately with day/date (Stargates, SNZHxx). The only day/date I really don't mind that much is on my Tuna. I like the Japanese day characters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own at least one watch with each of these variations (day/date, date only, no date).

Though I appreciate the convenience of the day/date feature (since I do sometimes forget what day it is), I agree with "Time" that on a dive watch it adds too much clutter to the dial. In most cases it also requires the removal (or at least reduction in size) of the 3 o'clock lume--which I don't like.

So for dive watches I prefer date only, between 4 and 5 o'clock or at the 6 o'clock position.

As for no date...I love simplicity, and yet I find no date a bit too plain/dull. I like the added complication of a date window, and enjoy watching the date click over at 12:00am (or a few minutes past, as the case may be).

As a result, one of my Seiko mods involved fitting an aftermarket dial to remove the day (leaving only the date) and a second mod involved adding a date window to an aftermarket dial which had none.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When I bought my first no-date watch -- a CWC Royal Navy diver -- I thought I'd miss seeing the date. I've actually grown to prefer it and it really does add to the simplicity and purposefulness of a watch.

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
I have a definite preference for no-date, which of course isn't common for Seikos, but I do have some. Second preference is for date only. Not a huge fan of day/date, but sometimes you don't really have a choice.

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
When I bought my first no-date watch -- a CWC Royal Navy diver -- I thought I'd miss seeing the date. I've actually grown to prefer it and it really does add to the simplicity and purposefulness of a watch.

Thats very nice :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts