The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here! My dad gave me a watch today which he had kept in his safety deposit box for many years and after a bit of research discovered that it is a 1967 Seiko World time. After discovering that it is a very collectible piece I have been trying to learn as much as I could about it. One of the things i noticed is that it has an embossed logo of the Olympic torch on the back which often wears off after extensive use. I was wondering if there are any ways to help protect the logo and other embossed information from wearing off. I was thinking maybe clear nail polish or a plastic film (maybe the type used for smart phone screens) cut to size. Also, any other information on this watch would be great.. she really is a beauty.

·
Administrator
30,712 Posts
Hi and welcome, looks like dad looked after it, one of my favorites.

ps: If i was worried about wearing the case back engraving out i would fit a "spare" back and keep the original safe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Con Grats. Nice gift you bot there.
The oyster looks good as far as i can see.

Has the movement been overhauled?
The Logo wont just go off. Just threat the watch good and dont throw it on the desk if you take it off. Put it on a cloth sideways.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Totally amazing.
A spare case back is a great idea. As too is the protective sticker - my brother uses "Helicopter tape" on his MTB's and I'm sure he has suggested this in the past for such likes. Maybe worth a look.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice! I have one of those (see signature below to the right), but I'm in the process of selling it... probably shipping today or tomorrow. Congrats!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fellas! I actually never considered a spare back! Is it easy to install? Also, what is that 4th hand for? I notice it rotates both automatically and manually. Is it to keep track of a certain time zone?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas! I actually never considered a spare back! Is it easy to install? Also, what is that 4th hand for? I notice it rotates both automatically and manually. Is it to keep track of a certain time zone?

Correct. That is your GMT feature, if I am not mistaken.

Dan

·
Registered
302 Posts
The fourth hand or red hand indicates the 24 hr time and is geared to the 12 hr mvmnt (goes around once per day), and is not independently adjustable. You rotate the crown without pulling out the stem to move the bezel and align your current timezone over the red hand then read the time anywhere in the world looking at the 24 hr time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shL2flSysM8

Watch video above (price is ridicules). New York is almost aligned with current time or 2000 hrs. Read the current time around the world on the watch bezel... Moscow is near 0400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! Thanks. I just had it adjusted and asked the jeweler about a plain back. She said that there will never be one that fits perfectly and to leave it cause it won't wear out. Since research shows otherwise, what other models back would fit this? I would assume Seiko has some sort of compatibility between watches in this respect.

I have truley fallen in love with this watch! Its a real beauty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The model I have (or had, just shipped it this PM), was case number 6117-6010 which did not have the torch logo on its back. But, not sure you'll find a case back without spending quite a bit of money. I could be wrong of course.

Here's a picture of the back of mine I just shipped to Houston:

·
Administrator
30,712 Posts
The model I have (or had, just shipped it this PM), was case number 6117-6010 which did not have the torch logo on its back. But, not sure you'll find a case back without spending quite a bit of money. I could be wrong of course.

Here's a picture of the back of mine I just shipped to Houston:
The case back on the 6217 is a snap on so perhaps others from the mid 60s would fit ?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Dad passed down a Seiko 6217-7000 World Time!

Old303-

What a nice and personal gift for your dad to pass down and it sounds like it is in good hands with you. Regarding the back I have found that clear packing tape is an excellent item to consider. I found that it was most effective in my applications, to make sure that you cover the case back a bit up the sides of the back so that the natural movement of the watch on your wrist doesn't cause the tape to roll up and reveal the sticky side.
Welcome to the board, I am sure you will feel quite welcome AND you are off to a good start in the hobby. The knowledge and helpfulness here is great !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent! I'll just use tape them! And I can't wait to get into the world of watches. So much to learn!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You are one luck man. Your dad obviously new something worth preserving when he saw it. Some people worried about scuff marks when wearing expensive watches use special made thin plastic disc that have a light adhesive. They sell them at watch supply warehouse sites. I got a package of them when I bought a refinishing kit. The ones I have are translucent red and are a lot like the ones that Seiko puts on the back case of all of their diver models when they are brand new. Enjoy that watch because you have something special there.

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts