The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I’m starting a new build on an srp777. I’m able to locate everything I’m needing (so far). However, I’ve run into a VERY limited selection on chapter ring choices!

Does anyone out there have a source or able to make a red chapter ring with white/black minute markers?

There is an endless selection for the skx/srpd models.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Jay V

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang it I’m gonna figure out the quote/reply thing sooner or later.

I did see that one and it’s the best option if I can’t get one custom made.

I am the kind that gets an idea in my head of what it’s going to look like and I will not stop until it’s completed. So I will likely use the stock chapter ring until I find a red one.

Jay

·
Special Member
4,067 Posts
Looking forward to your project as it evolves. I had the SRP773 and contemplated modifying it but decided against that given I have a number of 6309 based mods already. Always thought it deserved a coin edge or different bezel for starters. Have fun!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to your project as it evolves. I had the SRP773 and contemplated modifying it but decided against that given I have a number of 6309 based mods already. Always thought it deserved a coin edge or different bezel for starters. Have fun!
You are gonna dig the bezel when I get it!

Thanks for the input sir!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the input guys! I’ve ruled out the red ones.

Side note: Discovered the black (tuna) hands I ordered, the minute hand has a small black thread in the lume. Going to have to re-do the lume in case I decide to use them.

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
Nice mod Jay!
Is that an original dial or an aftermarket one. I've been considering a similar mod but haven't moved forward as of yet. Too many irons in the fire....:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice mod Jay!
Is that an original dial or an aftermarket one. I've been considering a similar mod but haven't moved forward as of yet. Too many irons in the fire....:)
That is the original pricey one. Didn’t want to skimp on this one.

Ran into a snag on the painted tuna hands. There was a fiber in the lume. Was hoping for an unveil this week, but will need to be next weekend.

I still haven’t decided on black tuna hands or the skx173 hands.

J

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kind of a fiasco with the black hands, so that decided it. Did the skx hands and I am really happy with the look. It looks more like a Seiko issued watch this way. Which is ultimately what I’m looking for with a few customizations.

Jay

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Suppose the new bezel doesn’t quite align with the chapter ring? Last night I thought I should remove the insert and reset it. When I woke this am, I thought why couldn’t I just minimally file the ends of the click ring?!

Anyone else done this with good results?

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,365 Posts
Suppose the new bezel doesn’t quite align with the chapter ring? Last night I thought I should remove the insert and reset it. When I woke this am, I thought why couldn’t I just minimally file the ends of the click ring?!

Anyone else done this with good results?

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Filing the click spring ends is the way to do it! I learned this method years ago from a video by Mark of Long Island Watch. It works !

·
Super Moderator
3,122 Posts
I’ll be that guy. The best approach in watch repair is to alter the part to fit the watch, not the watch to fit the part. So in this case (since the bezel/insert is new to the watch, not the click spring, right?) rotating the insert would be the best long-term outcome, because if you (or anyone else after to) ever need to replace the click spring, a stock unaltered one will fit, and theoretically if you (or some one else) wanted to swap bezels, the new one would align properly with the stock click spring (big “maybe” on that last one, but we’re speaking theoretically).
Personally, I don’t see the advantage in altering the click feel and function (will you be able to get a perfect factory edge on the clicks?) except for avoiding taking the insert out, which admittedly may or may not be risky depending on what you’re dealing with. But the easiest road is not always the best one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ll be that guy. The best approach in watch repair is to alter the part to fit the watch, not the watch to fit the part. So in this case (since the bezel/insert is new to the watch, not the click spring, right?) rotating the insert would be the best long-term outcome, because if you (or anyone else after to) ever need to replace the click spring, a stock unaltered one will fit, and theoretically if you (or some one else) wanted to swap bezels, the new one would align properly with the stock click spring (big “maybe” on that last one, but we’re speaking theoretically).
Personally, I don’t see the advantage in altering the click feel and function (will you be able to get a perfect factory edge on the clicks?) except for avoiding taking the insert out, which admittedly may or may not be risky depending on what you’re dealing with. But the easiest road is not always the best one.
I hear ya. That’s what my first thought was. This is a custom built srp777 from oem parts. For me. I thought out what you are saying. The bezel/insert are not readily available like the click spring is. If it gets passed on I’ve made notes that the click spring is modified and needs to be replaced with new.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Filing the click spring ends is the way to do it! I learned this method years ago from a video by Mark of Long Island Watch. It works !
Thank you Jon! I thought someone may have tried this, I just wanted reassurance that good results were had. Like I replied below, I will put a new click spring in the box with a note. I have CRS in my later years and must note everything lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts