The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice idea there really isnt much available aftermarket to mod SKX crown. Anything rough tough looking - the bottom row on the 3rd down would be nice. Maybe signed with an 'S' on the end :)

If you are planning on making a few extras to recoup outlay then I would take a couple for sure.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Now someone has been burning the night oil

That's what it takes , we need those custom ones.
I go along with .... mrwozza . Second picture they are
great, and all can be used also.

Now to find the ..... " Down Load Printed Ordering Forms ",
for them.
Now bry , you are not going to get any sleep since you
have shown those ............:34::s_laugh::13::sigh:

That's what I have been fooling with on and off and have
made some too. I also did a couple like those ........
( 5M62-Kinetic Crowns ), that have the shrunken nylon insert
rings on them with different colors. The rings took some time to
get made, but not impossible to do.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Solidworks 3D SKX crown>>>

I've got the SKX crown drawn up just need to check a few important dimensions once I've collected my German digi calipers.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
So did you work out the thread sizes? my SKX007 crown tube is 3.5mm diameter. I don't have a pitch gauge fine enough to measure the threads.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So did you work out the thread sizes? my SKX007 crown tube is 3.5mm diameter. I don't have a pitch gauge fine enough to measure the threads.
I just measured my friends SKX I have here to refinish the case and it's metric 3.5 x .35 if that helps you modding types :)

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I thought it might be the same as a 6309 divers - now we know! cheers :)

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Something like this, or slightly more coarse would be good. And as mentioned above - a signed "S" would be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
re

Tony,

I've just measured the SKX007 male threads at 3.90mm which surely means a M4 thread?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I just remeasured mine with a micrometer and loupe, says 3.91mm - looks like the mic was measuring the tube step down previously (my eyes are obviously not what they once were!)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Tony,

I've just measured the SKX007 male threads at 3.90mm which surely means a M4 thread?
Yeah I've had a word with my mate and he's is a 'custom' made watch. He said the crown was not standard! I wish he'd told me that in the first place!!!!

I was about to write about BA taps but you beat me too it Bry1975! I often use B.A to tap out small metric threads as I have a heap that I use on the old clocks and they often are the same as metric taps and dies.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I think you need to use a pitch gauge on the thread, it's no surprise that the diameter is similar to BA, as the BA system is actually Metric based (Swiss watchmaking threads) .
A 0.21mm pitch, when the norm is 0.35mm, seems odd - could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think you need to use a pitch gauge on the thread, it's no surprise that the diameter is similar to BA, as the BA system is actually Metric based (Swiss watchmaking threads) .
A 0.21mm pitch, when the norm is 0.35mm, seems odd - could be wrong though.
Will hop out to the workshop and measure a BA 15 in a mo :)

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I should add that- I was referring to it being odd that the pitch on the crown would be 0.21 (as opposed to 0.35), rather than the 15BA thread :)

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The tap drill for M4 x 0.35 is 3.6mm , M4 x 0.5mm is 3.5mm. So, considering I measured the root diameter first at about 3.5mm, I reckon it's going to be 0.35 or 0.5 pitch.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
That is good news :) have you sussed the pitch?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts