The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pulsar case v743-8aoo, does the crystal push out from the outside or from the inside? I am learning and don't want to break it going in the wrong direction, thanks Stan

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Hi Stanley,

It is hard to say even with pictures, but nearly impossible without, unless some one has first-hand experience with the watch in question, and knows it by the case number. You might get more responses with some photos of the outside and inside of the case, especially of any metal rings around or inside of the crystal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't have a camera, it looks like the dial rest against the chapter ring, it almost could come out either way but the gasket may require one direction only. I just don't know but want to try, thanks Stan

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Well, there are a myriad of casing constructions, some that are pushed out from the inside, some are pushed out from the outside, some that are held in place by a retaining ring, by a bezel, by a nylon gasket, by a tension ring, by crystal cement, etc. Some push right out, some require you to remove a bezel first, some require you to push the bezel and crystal out, then remove the crystal from the inside or from the outside of the bezel. The constructions are not so tricky, it is more so being able to identify what you are dealing with. If you don't know, it's a gamble, and pushing on the wrong part or in the wrong place can damage or destroy casing parts. (I don't advise holding your breath and just pushing somewhere.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I did it, busted 2 spares but got the 3rd crystal out of the donor and into mine, I was using my drill press with sockets and took 2 tries but success!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
stanley said:
well I did it, busted 2 spares but got the 3rd crystal out of the donor and into mine, I was using my drill press with sockets and took 2 tries but success!
So did it come out the front or back of the case?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it pressed out from the inside, I just used the wrong size socket at first and punched right through the center, got a bigger socket to fit the diameter better and it worked great, just easy slow pressure, I pressed the replacement back in by hand on a smooth surface and all is good.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
stanley said:
I pressed the replacement back in by hand on a smooth surface and all is good.

Not to rain on any parades, but if the design which you have in hand has a nylon gasket that holds the crystal in place, being able to install a crystal by hand is an indication that the gasket will not hold the crystal sufficiently, either allowing it to fall out in the future, or allow dirt/moisture inside. One should have to use a crystal press to apply enough even pressure on the crystal to evenly deform the gasket as the crystal is installed. Since the nylon gasket is permanently deformed after installing a crystal into it, is should be discarded and replaced with a new, unused gasket whenever the crystal is taken out. If you plan on wearing this watch regularly, I'd strongly recommend installing a new crystal gasket, along with any other gaskets which may be aging. An ounce of prevention...

·
Administrator
32,592 Posts
stanley said:
I just used the wrong size socket at first and punched right through the center,
If i was you Stanley i wouldn't really use that method if working on a watch with a rare or hard to get crystal or gasket, it could work out very expensive :'(

·
Registered
185 Posts
I concur...back in time when I first started playing..

I learned that a socket, and the secret of secrets, that the back of C size mag light case can
be used to press on a 38mm retaining ring.

then I broke a bunch of stuff, paid a watchmaker 10$ to install a crystal, and bought a very decent used on ebay
with nylon and aluminium dies for 12$.

Particularly with 'vintage' its nice to use proper tools, and new gaskets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am one not inclined to ignore good advise, I am going to have the gasket replaced by a watch maker, but you know I just had to try, lucky I didn't ruin it. Thanks All, Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts