The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Wondering if someone might be able to help me out here.

Buddy of mine handed me a 1979 entry level sports diver 7123-8380 that he has had since new (so I guess it has sentimental value) and asked if I could change the battery. I obliged but also somewhat foolishly offered to change out the crystal.

When I dismantled the case the crystal popped out with a metal ring:

IMG_7176.jpg

Flipping the crystal over it appears there is an inner metal ring holding the crystal in the outer ring:

IMG_7177.jpg

My question; is this all glued together from factory and not serviceable or can it be dismantled and a new crystal installed. The crystal my parts supplier gave me (295W39KN00) certainly looks the same just without the metal ring.

Apologies if this is a retarded question but all my other watches are early 70's with rubber L-gaskets and retaining rings.

Cheers
Jonathan

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think its called a tension ring and I would think factory glass would come with it fitted, I have no idea if its possible to retro fit one...

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
You can generally swap Seiko tension rings from one crystal to another.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding of a tension ring is that it sits on the inside lip of an acrylic crystal. This is mineral glass and is sandwiched between two metal rings. Can it be disassembled and serviced? If so how?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
If it's hardlex - ignore my previous :)

·
Administrator
30,133 Posts
Normally crystals with a tension ring would have a "T" in the part number, such has 325TXXXX ?

Jules give the crystal number as 295W31HA00

and they also list CRYSTAL FIXING RING # 86100482

and a GASKET, CRYSTAL #DJ2940B04

(JB quote those numbers but.......)

Looking in my case book from 79 (yours is not in it)most 7123 seem to have crystal rings and L shaped plastic gaskets.

Sounds like "fun" :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally crystals with a tension ring would have a "T" in the part number, such has 325TXXXX ?

Jules give the crystal number as 295W31HA00

and they also list CRYSTAL FIXING RING # 86100482

and a GASKET, CRYSTAL #DJ2940B04

(JB quote those numbers but.......)

Looking in my case book from 79 (yours is not in it)most 7123 seem to have crystal rings and L shaped plastic gaskets.

Sounds like "fun" :)
Yes I saw that on JB. I found a pic of the crystal they list. It looks the same as the one my supplier gave me and does not have the metal rings. The listing of a CRYSTAL FIXING RING makes me think maybe it's serviceable but I'm not convinced when I look at it.

Serves me right for offering to change his crystal ;-(

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 7015-8000 speedtimers are sort of like that. I've been able to pry the crystals out of the ring and jam... I mean press a new one into it. If you're careful you should be able to do it.

Don't bend the ring.... that's bad.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 7015-8000 speedtimers are sort of like that. I've been able to pry the crystals out of the ring and jam... I mean press a new one into it. If you're careful you should be able to do it.

Don't bend the ring.... that's bad.
Ok. Is the crystal glued in? And how does it seal? Is there a gasket?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't know about the one you are dealing with. Looking at the photos I would say no, but I have seen them glued in the past. You should be able to tell by looking at it closely, the old glue will be discoloured somewhat (at least in my experience).

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
YES, Carefully pry out the tension ring. Then use the crystal press with 2 flat dies and slowly/easy does it press it it into the new crystal. Put a piece of felt or the like under the top face of the new crystal so the bottom flat die doesn't mar the surface.

I've done this, it's not that hard. Just did it last week in fact on a Seiko 6119.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YES, Carefully pry out the tension ring. Then use the crystal press with 2 flat dies and slowly/easy does it press it it into the new crystal. Put a piece of felt or the like under the top face of the new crystal so the bottom flat die doesn't mar the surface.

I've done this, it's not that hard. Just did it last week in fact on a Seiko 6119.
I don't think its a 'tension ring'. The mineral glass is sandwiched between 2 rings. An outer ring that sits on the top and an inner ring that inserts from the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts