The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the crystal on this piece I bought back in circa 1998. Can anyone help with a part number or direct me to a supplier? It was my daily wearer for about 5 years. I recently installed a battery, put her in the rotation and now I'd like to clean it up a bit as she's scratched and chipped @ 8:00 and 10:00. I believe it's called an Officer's 1884 model.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
sportshooter said:
I want to replace the crystal on this piece I bought back in circa 1998. Can anyone help with a part number or direct me to a supplier? It was my daily wearer for about 5 years. I recently installed a battery, put her in the rotation and now I'd like to clean it up a bit as she's scratched and chipped @ 8:00 and 10:00. I believe it's called an Officer's 1884 model.

Nice Victorinox! As for the crystal, have you tried looking at Jules Borel's site? That would be where I'd start.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I looked at Jules Borel but I don't know the case number. I called a few Victorinox Authorized repair shops but they all tell me they can't quote me anything until I send it in and they can take a look at it. I was hoping to get the crystal and take it to my local repair guy to speed up the process. Maybe I'll just have to drop it with him and see what he can do.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
sportshooter said:
Thanks! I looked at Jules Borel but I don't know the case number. I called a few Victorinox Authorized repair shops but they all tell me they can't quote me anything until I send it in and they can take a look at it. I was hoping to get the crystal and take it to my local repair guy to speed up the process. Maybe I'll just have to drop it with him and see what he can do.
The local guy may be the way to go. In my experience, some authorized repair centers can be pretty pricey for small jobs like that.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll take it to Mike @ http://www.opticalworkshop.net/home.html
He's also got some nice wall and mantle clocks for sale. Some beautiful new and old pieces.

Mike, I love that avatar. "The World's Most Interesting Man". I love those commercials.
He's not afraid to show his feminine side... if he had one.
He did seem sophisticated until I saw him on TMZ. He's just a regular Joe like the rest of us.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The crystal is a run-of-the-mill round, flat mineral glass. You can get from any supplier. Need thickness and diameter. Held in by plastic gasket.

Ken

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Traditionally the watchmaker opened the watch and removed the movement and the crystal. Crystral thickness was measured and an appropriate piece of square mineral crystal glass was selected and put into a machine like the one pictured below. Diameter of crystal then measured, machine set to required diameter and glass cut. If bevel required or straight cut different cutters were selected. This system is effective in many modern circumstances - 5 minutes labour and 40cents worth of glass. I believe there are plenly of watchmakers out there who still use these methods. Cheers Phil

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ken! Thanks Phil!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts