The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking around for Type I crystals for two of my 6105's but as we all know finding NOS is both difficult and expensive. Fortunately for me the Swedefreak/Jonathan after market crystals are available again and so I ordered a couple and they are now installed.

1968 6105-8000

I think that the crystal brings this watch closer to its original specification and with the addition of a new repro waffle strap the project is completed.

1972 6105-8110

I am not sure if the Type I crystal would have been fitted to a 1972 watch, but I prefer the look of the high top crystal anyway!

I know that many feel that the Type I high top crystal is a chip magnet but I am prepared to risk that just for the look of them!

Mark

·
Special Member
27,777 Posts
Stunningly Delicious Pair...Crystal looks Fantastic...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great job! They both look super.

I had the chance to buy a 6105 new in 1969 when I was in the Air Force. I didn't like the shape of it so bought a Seiko World Time I still have today. Kind a wish I'd bought the 'funny shaped' cushion case now. :rolleyes:

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Looks fantastic, great work.

I have a couple of 6105's that I need to get some new crystals for and was pleased to see Jonathan's available again.

What did you do for gaskets? The crystals are obvious but I am not sure what gaskets to use. There are lots of options on eBay but I want to make sure they will fit correctly. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was fortunate to have some new Seiko crystal gaskets. I have tried the aftermarket ones from Mountapo Merchant with varying success....some are a fraction bigger and very difficult to install the crystal retaining ring as a result. You will see Seiko gaskets on the trade forum every now and then.
Mark

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Mark , where did you get the crystals ? I just got a 6105-8009 that could use one. I know that Jonathan was a Dear member of this forum.
Can I use my original gasket or do I look somewhere for one ?
Also in looking around I saw two or three different types of crystals [l, ll, lll ?]....what would the difference be ?

Thanks , Louis

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Cool watches - especially the oyster clad one but hate:undecided: the high glasses.

IMHO the low ones look just as good and the bezel protects them:)

A customer wanted me to get a high glass for his 6105 last month. I got the flat one. I figured (I know him) it was worth the telling off so he could have a good looking watch for longer:grin:

·
Registered
834 Posts
When I got my 6105 it had the high top crystal which was badly scratched:

I have a good friend whose family is in the jewellery business so I asked if he could try polishing the original. He said it should probably not be a problem.

I recently got the crystal back after the work was done. Careful polishing with various grades of diamond dust, done by a skilled craftsman.

Here is the result:

Yes, that is the same crystal.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
When I got my 6105 it had the high top crystal which was badly scratched:

I have a good friend whose family is in the jewellery business so I asked if he could try polishing the original. He said it should probably not be a problem.

I recently got the crystal back after the work was done. Careful polishing with various grades of diamond dust, done by a skilled craftsman.

Here is the result:

Yes, that is the same crystal.

Amazing result:)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Louis,

You will find them on ebay if you search on Seiko 6105. You may be able to reuse your crystal gasket if it is in good condition, if not check the trade forum here or on ebay.

The Type I crystal is the tallest, Type II and II are lower and closer to the level of the bezel.

Mark

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
there is nothing better than the right crystal...makes all the difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts