The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have just purchased a 7t34-6a00 Flight master the watch works fine but the crown wont adjust the time is this fixable please help
cheers Paul

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have messed around with a couple 7T34 movements. I think the first and easiest thing to check is the condition of the stem. Do you have a case back remover? If so I can show you have to remove the main winding stem which is pretty simple. Once you remove it it needs to be inspected to see if it has broken. The best was is to get a picture of a good 7T34 winding stem and compare it. If the stem is not damaged or broken your looking at money to have the movement disassembled to find the defective part. No small feat with this movement. Not because the parts involved with the winding stem and setting levers but the fact that to get to them you have to remove the cover that also keeps all of those little gears that make all of those other complicated features of the watch work. I have done it on the 7T32 movement that is close and it is very time consuming for someone who is just a hobbyist. The repair by Seiko might be more than a brand new Flightmaster.

Michael

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I would expect that Seiko will fit a new movement rather than service it, for the reasons Michael has stated as it would be easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Agree with Mike. Seiko just replace movements . But this one is long since obsolete so it would be struggle to get hold of one.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can buy 7T34 NOS Flighmasters from several different sellers in the Philippines for between around $135 to $225 depending on what colors you like. I know because I have been tempted several times!
I'll even give you a couple bucks for the broken one if you go that route to help fund it!

Michael

·
Craftsman
451 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what is inside a 7T34, see this picture.

The main crown enters from the 9pm side of this picture.

The components are very small and delicate. The movement main bridges (top and bottom) are made of hard plastic.

It is quite easy with force to damage things.

I think it more likely that this has happened than that the crown stem is damaged.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

The components are very small and delicate. The movement main bridges (top and bottom) are made of hard plastic.

I think it more likely that this has happened than that the crown stem is damaged.
I have something very similar to that on the bench right now except it is a 7T32 and not a 7T34. Either way the picture says it all. It takes a ton of patience to want to repair either model. A picture like that usally sends the guys who just work on the mechanical stuff running!

Michael

·
Registered
473 Posts

I feel a bit dizzy looking at that lot.
Regards, David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The crown pulls all the way out is this a easy repair or a expensive one from what iam reading its probably a better thing to happen broken stem?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Either way unless you have the patience to deal with what you see in the picture in the previous post it is not going to matter. If the crown and stem come out all in one piece and are good that means one of the plastic gears has most likely failed. If the crown comes out and the end of the stem is broken off that means it is stuck way down inside the movement and you still have to take the cover off the gear box. That was the reason I had to open up the last 7T32 movement. Somehow water had gotten in the crown down the tube and rusted the stem. When it got tight someone just tried to force it and snapped the end of the stem off in the crown. Even when I got the cover off the darn stem was still stuck to the plastic housing somehow and it took some force to pop it out. The movement is so complex I had to reassemble it in separate sessions or I would have gone blind and nuts!!

Michael

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have a 7T34-6A09, and did the movement and I am a first timer to these
but I did it on my first try and practice doing a ...... 7T32 Parts Spare also.
But it takes some doing too, have to really be careful not to tip the movement
in the holder. Then a lot of patients added to that, but not difficult.
I think laying it out would be just fine but referring to ......
" That Picture Posted " on another computer and it works great.
I stripped it, tried the service, but still have to obtain those two gears.
Mine has ( Two gears with meshed teeth one on each gear ).
Note:
When I am busy .... " The rules are only my Wife can come in and place my
( Sedative on the other desk ) my coffee cup but no talking ".
It works wonders too.:57:
She obey's the rules , then she gets rewarded later also.:72:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a 7T34-6A09, and did the movement and I am a first timer to these
but I did it on my first try and doing another now.
But need those two grayish plastic gears also.

Job well done there sir! These movements are not impossible to fix and if you have access to spares not even expensive. The huge cost to bringing it to a professional repair shop would be the numbers of hours of labor needed to effect the repair which brings the discussion full circle to the earlier post. The service center would just replace the entire movement.

Now if you have patience utilize the excellent information available on this site and ask questions when needed they can be repaired. It just depends on how dedicated you are to getting it done. LongBike has just proven this to be true.

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts