The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After removing the crown from the 6138B movement, I am unable to make it engage the date adjustment and time adjustment after fixing it back. It goes all the way in the hole and engages the manual wind mechanism but will come straight out if I pull it. How can I fix the problem?

Thank you

BR

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Its a common problem, the stem release button has stuck in the release position, i have put a needle in the stem hole and gently released the button by twiddling about in the past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

I have tried that but it does not seem to work. Maybe I am doing it wrong? Will try again. Will stripping out certain part of the movement helps?

Thanks

BR

·
Registered
912 Posts
:-(

Always a problem with the 6138. Take the stem out in the wrong position/station and you risk never getting it back again.

As John mentions you can try going in through the hole....but also just above the start/stop pusher and under the dial there is a small access point you might be able to get the answer you need (I have several times)

If not though you need to strip down dial side.....

Good luck

Tom

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
I've also come across this problem & John has advised me many years back with his method, Toms is another, One I've discovered myself which I have found on many 6138s is, at sometime or another someone has made the stem literally just a smidge shy short or case ring is worn & the stem don't quite reach home, what I've found is if you push the movement towards where your inserting the stem & hold it firm as you insert the stem & its worked for me on several occasions. Hope you get sorted as its a pain to remove dial etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen,

Thank you for sharing the additional tips. Will try again.

I have tried removing the movement and inserting the crown without the case. Made no difference.

Anyway thanks again for all your help. Appreciate it.

BR

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Something else I always do when i am going to remove the stem from a 6138 or 6139 is put a very tiny amount of oil on top of the stem release button and push/release a tiny amount a few times before pressing it all the way down to release the stem, my theory is it makes the button less likely to stick and since i have been doing this (fingers crossed) i havent had one stick on me :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've also come across this problem & John has advised me many years back with his method, Toms is another, One I've discovered myself which I have found on many 6138s is, at sometime or another someone has made the stem literally just a smidge shy short or case ring is worn & the stem don't quite reach home, what I've found is if you push the movement towards where your inserting the stem & hold it firm as you insert the stem & its worked for me on several occasions. Hope you get sorted as its a pain to remove dial etc.
Indeed that is a fair point and have encountered also.

Try not cased to see if that works out?!

T

·
Registered
61 Posts
hmmm...sounds to me like the "keyless" issue that happens now and then when removing the stem. I only heard of that issue with ETA movements but maybe it's the same with Seiko?

Google brings up many tutorials, just google "keyless issue ETA" :)

Good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts