The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have been on the look out for a 6138-8020 for some time. Most I see are in pretty rubbish condition from the collectors point of view and still command a lot of money so when a good one comes along, if you want one you have to pay.

Having said that I feel they are over rated and over priced. I much prefer my 0011's and 0020's and only want a Panda to fill the space in the collection.

·
Special Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Panda is in good condition but has a couple of small scratches on the minute subdial from some past attempt to remove or fit the hand. Despite this, I consider it one of my favourites. It has to be worn to be appreciated. The dial and hand combination is really nice. It's also a very versatile watch - slim enough to fit under cuffs, sporty but classy enough for a dress occasion too.

That said, I would never have paid anywhere near what they seem to go for on ebay.

I have been on the look out for a 6138-8020 for some time. Most I see are in pretty rubbish condition from the collectors point of view and still command a lot of money so when a good one comes along, if you want one you have to pay.

Having said that I feel they are over rated and over priced. I much prefer my 0011's and 0020's and only want a Panda to fill the space in the collection.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,328 Posts
I think really superb examples of desirable watches are worth paying over the top for, but I would be very wary about paying that kind of money to an ebay seller for it. As an unknown to me, I wouldn't trust their description of the watch and perhaps their integrity.

If a seller with a good record on this forum were to offer a watch with an honest description like that then it could be well worth buying.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Typical ebay sillyness.
I am certain this will be relisted very soon.

It has been overpolished and the bracelet severely brushed. It is certainly not NOS.
(the middle part of the bracelet links should be polished btw).

I was watching this too and checking the bidding history....take a look at how many 0, 1 or low feedback bidders went for this watch.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well the dial and hands were very nice to be honest.

Take a look at the completed listings of ebay for 6138-8020, arranged highest first. The top entrants are all ridiculous really.....

at the £280-£330 mark you are getting sensible realistic prices - for watches that are far better than those getting the £500.

For me I had this listed: http://hickman-watches.com/sale-seiko-6138-8020-panda-450/
I started at £450 (I just start with what I see go on ebay) but I setteled at £350 with the buyer. Fine by me. I think he paid a good price for a good watch.

The 8020's are nice to be honest, as said they sit so well. I think Mike will like :) when he finds one ;)

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
That watch is way over polished. Advertising a watch as having no scratches or dents, that you know have just been polished out, is disingenuous IMHO.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,328 Posts
That watch is way over polished. Advertising a watch as having no scratches or dents, that you know have just been polished out, is disingenuous IMHO.
You see it all the time on ebay. Over polished, tarted up with fake dials and other 'aftermarket' parts to sell to people who don't know what they are buying, and think they are getting a 'restored' watch. Sadly this is the fate of most vintage Seiko's on the bay.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
well i learned when i was small and my family had a 2 day auction to get rid of much of my grandfathers stuff that people will pay way over what you normally would due to the fact you don't want someone else to have it...and i think people are trying to find new ways to invest their hard earned money in...and many new people who don't know seem to over pay like some of us have learned too...i always try and set a budget and follow it..i have let a lot of watches and parts go due to that..but i am learning patience better now too..patience stinks..but worth is...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts