The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a bag of old watches and bits. There are about 15 or so but I liked the look of these the most. I would love to know roughly what dates they are from. I don't think they are anything special. Although this one looks to be of quite good quality, and CYMA seem to have a decent name. It does not run and the stem pulls out.

cyma1.jpg

cyma2.jpg

I wound this one up and it has been going and keeping perfect time ever since.

everite1.jpg

everite2.jpg

This is my favourite, I just think it looks so different. It doesn't run either and one of the hands has no lume left.

optima1.jpg

optima2.jpg

This is an odd one to me. Lovely dial but the movement is a dark copper colour, never seen one like that before. Doesn't run and the crown has come off.

nevi1.jpg

nevi2.jpg

I'd love to fix a couple of them up if I could. Would I be able to find any diagrams of the movements for disassembly and reassembly?

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Cyma is vintage 1950s...see this link: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Cyma_459 (you may also find the movement under Tavannes).

The Optima has the Eta 1080 and is about the same time frame...see this link: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&ETA_1080

The Everite is probably about the same time frame...maybe later 50s...has an AS1002 movement sporting Incabloc shock...see this link: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&AS_1002

Regards, BG

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much BG. That's very interesting. I think I came upon that site when I was looking for info but was inputting the brand name of the watch and not the movement. So now I know, that will be a handy thing. I have used it to check the Nevi watch, which has F1560 stamped onto the movement and it comes back around the same vintage as the others. The examples they show are not the copper colour of this one though. Could you tell me why they produced some of them in this style, was it just to be a bit different?
I have got the Optima going now, and it is also keeping perfect time. I find it fascinating that these things have been lying about unused for goodness knows how long, but with a little bit of coaxing they come to life and keep good time.
I noticed that included in the information they provide on the Ranfft site is a number for the stem and the hand sizes. I have some questions regarding that, but maybe I should begin another post.
Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
845 Posts
As Dutch mentioned the F1560 is a Felsa...link here: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Felsa_1560

A given movement made by A Shield for example, may be used by a number of different watch manufacturers. A given manufacturer may decorate it in various ways...including plating it...hence variation in "identical" movements.

Stem size will usually be a function of the caliber (movement model number)...however, depending upon the casing, several different stems may be available for a given movement.

Hand size is as much a function of dial size as caliber...however, movements may have limits as to total mass and arm.

Regards, BG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently acquired a bag of old watches and bits. There are about 15 or so but I liked the look of these the most. I would love to know roughly what dates they are from. I don't think they are anything special. Although this one looks to be of quite good quality, and CYMA seem to have a decent name. It does not run and the stem pulls out.

View attachment 159666

View attachment 159674

I wound this one up and it has been going and keeping perfect time ever since.

View attachment 159682

View attachment 159690

This is my favourite, I just think it looks so different. It doesn't run either and one of the hands has no lume left.

View attachment 159698

View attachment 159706

This is an odd one to me. Lovely dial but the movement is a dark copper colour, never seen one like that before. Doesn't run and the crown has come off.

View attachment 159714

View attachment 159722

I'd love to fix a couple of them up if I could. Would I be able to find any diagrams of the movements for disassembly and reassembly?
Thanks very much BG. That's very interesting. I think I came upon that site when I was looking for info but was inputting the brand name of the watch and not the movement. So now I know, that will be a handy thing. I have used it to check the Nevi watch, which has F1560 stamped onto the movement and it comes back around the same vintage as the others. The examples they show are not the copper colour of this one though. Could you tell me why they produced some of them in this style, was it just to be a bit different?
I have got the Optima going now, and it is also keeping perfect time. I find it fascinating that these things have been lying about unused for goodness knows how long, but with a little bit of coaxing they come to life and keep good time.
I noticed that included in the information they provide on the Ranfft site is a number for the stem and the hand sizes. I have some questions regarding that, but maybe I should begin another post.
Thanks for the links.
Hi I have an old Cyma Navy Star
, seems to be a 34-35 case and it belonged to my grandfather. It runs fine but I am lookin for the besel which fell off at some point along the last 65 years. Would you maybe have an extra one in that bad you might be willing to sell to me? Thank you.
S. Robin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts