The Watch Site banner

Convince me that I need a Seiko (or several)

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  clockworks 
#1 ·
Part of me thinks "I've already got a classic diver - non-date Sub - so I don't need another".

Another part of me wants to buy something "cheap-ish" and mod it. What should I buy as an introduction to the the world of Seiko divers?
Bear in mind that I live in the UK, and import duty is a killer. I can strip and rebuild a basic watch, but getting parts might be a problem?

#2 ·
I am guessing this isn't a rational persuasive argument, I guess people are just gonna post pictures and that is the argument in itself...so here is one good reason...
(sorry- just saw that your post said 'divers' not just 'Seiko'...but I'll leave this pic here)

#3 ·
Nothing personal, but I never understand it when folks asked to be convinced to buy something. Come on man, you made it this far. You found the site because you are interested. stick around, read through some of the tons of material available. Maybe go to a WIS meet and try a bunch of pieces out. Then you will have some background and experience and will be able t decide whether any one piece or brand is for you.

BTW, we have a bunch of UK based members who would be glad to give you pointers on how and what to buy. Besides this one, you might also want to check RLT watch forums or TZ UK, both of which are UK based. Members there might be a bit more knowledgeable of favorable sources of parts and watches.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

#5 ·
As much as I love The Sub....but if I ever had the chance to choose between a brand spanking new (if they were still in production), or at least a NOS exemplar of a 6105-8119 and a Rollie Sub, there's no doubt in my mind that I would favor the 6105.

That should says a LOT about what these watches (SEIKO) mean to me. :-*

#6 ·
Chris I love my 6105 (Dirty Harry) and to be honest i wear it 95% of the time, I put one of my other favourites on perhaps for the odd hour but Harry just calls to me, so comfy to wear and just feels so "right" and i think the correct choice and fitting bracelet is so important to the individual, i have mine on a 22mm Oyster and love it.

As for a Sub or Harry well...................... :'( i [glow=red,2,300]REALLY[/glow] liked my sub!!

#7 ·
TheTigerUK said:
Chris I love my 6105 (Dirty Harry) and to be honest i wear it 95% of the time, I put one of my other favourites on perhaps for the odd hour but Harry just calls to me, so comfy to wear and just feels so "right" and i think the correct choice and fitting bracelet is so important to the individual, i have mine on a 22mm Oyster and love it.

As for a Sub or Harry well...................... :'( i [glow=red,2,300]REALLY[/glow] liked my sub!!
John, my friend....your Dirty Harry is one of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen of a well kept original 6105 piece. You're right about the bracelet. SEIKO should've made it this way from the factory. There's something about these cushion cased diver's that is hard to describe....to the diver's watch die hard fan and enthusiast, they are perfectly made pieces. Tokunaga-san should have been truly inspired when he designed this type of case. The same can be said about the 6309-7040.

#8 ·
Through the years, prior to owning a 6309-7040, I encountered several in "the wild". Without exception, their owners told the same story - they had purchased the watch years ago, usually while in the military. They had worn it continuously for 25 to 30 years and it had performed flawlessly, most often without benefit of a service or cleaning. It's hard to argue with real life testimonials like that. I knew that eventually, I'd have to own one of these watches, too.

After I got mine, made in July of '84, I opened it up and regulated it to run within COSC spec. I have no idea if the watch has ever been serviced, but I doubt it. It's just a freakin' freight train of a watch - it's unstoppable and it's running on time!

#11 ·
Thanks guys.
Maybe I should've been a bit more specific. I've been collecting watches for a few years, since I ran out of space for collecting clocks. I currently have just short of 100 watches, ranging from tiny deco-style 1930's American, to a Citizen Skyhawk AT. Most of my watches are fairly cheap, maybe half a dozen cost more than £1000 - the aforementioned Sub, Zenith el Primero, U-N 1846 and GMT, TAG Targa Florio and Tudor Chronautic
In amongst all that lot, I've only got one Seiko - a Sportura. I know absolutely nothing about Seikos - I came to this forum to find out more about the Citizens that I've been collecting recently. I didn't even realise that people collected Japanese watches!

What I think I want is a second hand diver that I can mod:

Classic sub-style case - not keen on the one piece, aero look
Engraved bezel, so that I can re-enamel the digits
Applied markers on the dial, so that I can strip and repaint it myself, if neccessary
Easy availability of hands and dials, in case I mess up the mods.
Second hand price less than 100USD

What models would fit the bill?

#12 ·
clockworks said:
Another part of me wants to buy something "cheap-ish" and mod it. What should I buy as an introduction to the the world of Seiko divers?
There's two ways to a solution:
1. buy a handfull of basic divers and though modding arrive at buying a GS in a few years time.
2. buy a nice pre-owned GS and start enjoying it now ;)

p.s. as you have a diver, 'just' get yourself a 8) threehander.

#13 ·
clockworks said:
Thanks guys.
Maybe I should've been a bit more specific.... What I think I want is a second hand diver that I can mod:

Classic sub-style case - not keen on the one piece, aero look
Engraved bezel, so that I can re-enamel the digits
Applied markers on the dial, so that I can strip and repaint it myself, if neccessary
Easy availability of hands and dials, in case I mess up the mods.
Second hand price less than 100USD

What models would fit the bill?
Why don't we go at this from a different direction? Since the permutations of these Seiko divers can be almost endless (and we may suggest dozens of possibilities before we nail the one that makes you go, "Stop! That's it!"), why don't we link you to several photo galleries where you can see various Seiko mods?

This first one belongs to Harold Ng, who goes by the nome de 'net of "Yobokies" - that's "Seikoboy" spelled backwards. Harold supplies parts and does mod work:

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t208/yobokies/Mods/?start=0

Next, we have Noah Fuller. Noah supplies parts, mods watches, and now markets his own line of watches called "Tsunami", based on the classic 6309:

http://www.10watches.com/apps/photos/

Last, North East Watch Works, owned by Duarte Mendonca. Duarte mods watches, but doesn't sell parts. You'll have to source parts elsewhere and send them to him. His work is top notch:

http://newatchworks.com/

I'd suggest browsing these galleries. If and when you see something that interests you, come back here and we'll tell you how to proceed.

#14 ·
Wow - didn't realise that there was so much variety out there!

I like the Monster case and bezel, especially with the bead blasted finish. I'd prefer not to have a date window.

Is the "sight ring" (chapter ring) separate from the dial on the monster?

Monster with blasted case and bracelet.
Black dial with no date window, white index markers, orange sight ring and orange bezel markings. Possible?

#15 ·
clockworks said:
Monster with blasted case and bracelet.
Black dial with no date window, white index markers, orange sight ring and orange bezel markings. Possible?
I'd contact Noah then: mailto:noah10wathes@gmail.com

Tell him exactly what it is you want to do. He has the parts, you can select dials on his webstore page here:

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/category/35066

Once you get the parts and buy a Monster to mod off one of the various sales forums, contact Duarte for the bead blasting: mailto:info@newatchworks.com

His work is stellar and turn around time is very fast.

Amended: I just wanted to add that the rehaut (sight ring) on the Monster is separate, but you'll need a specific rehaut to match to an aftermarket dial. Noah will know which ones fit.

#18 ·
clockworks said:
Thanks for the links. I guess I need to find a suitable watch, then get the parts to fit.

I can't see any second hand Monsters on eBay UK, and new ones run around £160. Would I get a better deal on here, or from eBay USA?
I'd try these Sales Forums first:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/board,11.0.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/list.php?10

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32

Alternately, you could use Elite Deal Seeker, which will search several Sales Forums for you, based on your search parameters. It can save a lot of scanning. I set this search up to look for the word "monster":

http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?searchword=monster&category=watches&ageupperlimit=1&function=Search

I'd be surprised if you didn't find something in a few days. Good luck!

#19 ·
Now thats a cool watch Jem,Glad i got one in the same colour dial with the original fishbone bracelet.So underrated this watch.

Casiojem said:
I am guessing this isn't a rational persuasive argument, I guess people are just gonna post pictures and that is the argument in itself...so here is one good reason...
(sorry- just saw that your post said 'divers' not just 'Seiko'...but I'll leave this pic here)

Attachments

#21 ·
Not sure if I'm missing something, but I can't see a way to do what I want.

The original Monster sight ring appears to have cutouts to fit over the index markings, so it can't really be used with an aftermarket dial.
The sight rings listed for the 7s26 all say "not for Monster".

Can the index markings on a Monster dial be removed and refitted after painting? I've successfully repainted a couple of old Bulova dials, where the numerals were pegged onto the base dial. Very fiddly work, but I managed it.

#22 ·
clockworks said:
Not sure if I'm missing something, but I can't see a way to do what I want.

The original Monster sight ring appears to have cutouts to fit over the index markings, so it can't really be used with an aftermarket dial.
The sight rings listed for the 7s26 all say "not for Monster".

Can the index markings on a Monster dial be removed and refitted after painting? I've successfully repainted a couple of old Bulova dials, where the numerals were pegged onto the base dial. Very fiddly work, but I managed it.
As I mentioned earlier, it's probably best to contact Noah or Harold and tell them exactly what you want to do. I know the rehauts (sight rings) are available - I'm wearing one of Harold's Monster mods right now, and it has a special rehaut to accept a custom dial (see below).

As for removing the index markers, I don't know. I've never heard of it being done, but again, Harold and Noah are gonna be the experts on that kind of thing. Just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.