The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting my Seiko 5 7009-3140 from automatic to quartz (new mechanical movement costs too much).
For this I am going to use a Hattori VX43E movement. Anyone done the same with a different quartz movement?
Any help greatly appreciated
Bob

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Would it be too expensive to buy an old (battered case, but working) 7009 off of ebay and swap movements?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Hey that is my thinking too..i think they are quite reasonable here...

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Will the day date align in the window of the 7009 dial, or are you intending to change the dial as well?
You will have to manufacture a dial spacer/movement ring to make the movement fit the case.
The original seiko hands wont fit the VX43 so youll need a set of hands.
The vx43 is only 3.0 mm thick the 7009 is 4.75mm, will the hole for the stem on th VX43 align with the crown tube.
Not impossible, but i foresee many problems to be overcome, it would be so much easier to find a battered 7009 or any other 70xx with day date and fit the movement from that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seiko

You'reall driving me to re-consider an old battered 7009 with a good working movement.
Question: Are all 7009 movements the same, ie for 7009-3140, 7009-3100 etc. etc.?
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
You'reall driving me to re-consider an old battered 7009 with a good working movement.
Question: Are all 7009 movements the same, ie for 7009-3140, 7009-3100 etc. etc.?
Bob
No not all 7009 movements are the same. there are a few with crown a 3' oClock
and yours is at 3.18, so you will have to change the day & date wheel over if the crown is not in the same position as your existing movement.
Also on some 7009's the hand height is different (to do with the case type), If the donor is fitted and the seconds hand is fouling the crystal you will need to swap over the 4th wheel.
99% of the time its just a straight forward movement swap without any drama's.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would agree with the above statements. I've tried to swap 7002 to Quartz and it drove me nuts. I got a Quartz to fit in then I had to find a stem and crown combo that was just as frustrating.
I have a 7009 I am happy to donate to save you the pain but it's crown is at 4. something. Pm me if your interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would agree with the above statements. I've tried to swap 7002 to Quartz and it drove me nuts. I got a Quartz to fit in then I had to find a stem and crown combo that was just as frustrating.
I have a 7009 I am happy to donate to save you the pain but it's crown is at 4. something. Pm me if your interested.
I only have 2 postings on this forum, so I'm afraid I am not allowed send private messages.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well read all the post and just contribute with comments ...it will raise your post count and then you can receive pm's too...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well i think Camrok is the only one i know who has one...i have never had one yet....we are always glad to help..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts