The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I do a fair bit of looking and some purchasing of watches, like most of us. ;)
Often I come across the term CONUS, now I love the american people,💏
their politicians,..... not so much,:eek:🤡
but their military, you betcha (y):love:
a nation that may have not invented capitalism, but has perfected it. I have visited both shores a couple of times and absolutely loved it.(y)
American beer might be the biggest down fall of the whole place, but its forgivable.
fantastic things I grew up with like TV, The Duke, Playboy & Penthouse, only for the watch reviews & nude photos & comics, (the Articles went over my head)
Mickey Mouse, skateboards, the beachboys,etc etc I could go on,I do love America :love:

but CONUS just pisses me off, whats so hard about shipping to the rest of the world , sometimes Canada, sometimes even Mexico - never Alaska🗻,Never Hawaii🏄‍♀️
can some one please tell me why ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,
a nation that may have not invented capitalism, but has perfected it. I have visited both shores a couple of times and absolutely loved it.(y)
American beer might be the biggest down fall of the whole place, but its forgivable.
fantastic things I grew up with like TV, The Duke, Playboy & Penthouse, only for the watch reviews & nude photos & comics, (the Articles went over my head)
Mickey Mouse, skateboards, the beachboys,etc etc I could go on,I do love America :love:

but CONUS just pisses me off, whats so hard about shipping to the rest of the world , sometimes Canada, sometimes even Mexico - never Alaska🗻,Never Hawaii🏄‍♀️
Quite often these sellers will ship anywhere, if you ask about it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No insurance shipping outside the US (or an exorbitant amount making it not worth the price/time).

If you read the fine print, watches are excluded from much of the insurance you buy. Sure, they will sell it to you but the fine print says they won't pay off if something happens. If a buyer is willing to accept that risk, then I'll ship anywhere. But I'm not willing to accept that risk so I sell US only (prices are the same to all the US including Alaska and Hawaii AFAIK).

Of course, right now USPS is having some problems. I am still waiting on a package that was due last Tuesday. Another package my wife ordered is 2+ weeks overdue. I guess chronic underfunding has finally caught up with them.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Hey I always offer shipping worldwide
but at Your Costs
Shipping in USA is lower costs than overseas and easier overall
It Usually costs two to three time more to ship overseas if they want it fast or want it insured and not all countries let you insure it and with everything going on there are places you can not ship to right now and shipping times are terrible too
Most people do not want the hassle of shipping overseas too
Best way is to find someone in the USA who will do this for your a small fee
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Biggest reasons:

• to ship a watch overseas, you must have tracking and to add tracking adds a significant amount of money to the cost - its a USPS issue. Depending on the watch (or item), shipping can be a significant portion of the sale.
  • If the item does not have tracking and the buyer "didn't receive the package" you, the seller, are liable and out the entire purchase price + shipping. Ouch. Buyers know this and if they are dishonest and you don't have tracking, the package won't ever arrive. I had this happen a few times on low cost items and swore off international shipping.
  • I cannot do International shipping on-line like I can domestic - I have to go stand in line at the post office because of the customs paperwork. No thank you.
The only time I'll ship overseas is if:
  • it's someone I know and trust
  • I'm doing it as a favor
eBay and USPS don't make it an attractive proposition for me personally and I get plenty of good sales domestically.
It's a seller preference and IMO very fair.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Hi all,

As mwadner suggests, many American sellers are unwilling to go and stand in line at the post office(even if there is no line); sad but true.

As for the beer; the USA has some of the most awesome craft brews available anywhere in the world (y) (y) The industrial beers from the big names are really not much more than weak bladder exciters 🤣

I too love the USA and am in mortal fear of what is happening to it :(

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
It's worth remembering that UK Post office and most similar domestic mail carriers, USPS etc, specifically do not cover watches for theft or damage, unless they have precious metal content, if so - they are classed as jewellery. Read the fine print.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
It's worth remembering that UK Post office and most similar domestic mail carriers, USPS etc, specifically do not cover watches for theft or damage, unless they have precious metal content, if so - they are classed as jewellery. Read the fine print.
I'll have to do that. Mailing a watch in for service, I was specifically advised by the service center to ship it via USPS Registered Mail. It got there okay, but I'll have to check into this for next time...

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
@OP I sell worldwide out of the USA on SCWF (or is TWS? LOL) because I am willing to go to the extra lengths because this is a hobby for me and you and everyone else are my brothers on the forum.

On ebay no way do I ship out of country. Over there it's a business transaction.

Like others have said, the USPS shut down first class mail international over their web site. I use Sendle in the USA for first class and the USPS web site for Priority Mail. Easy, do it from home, print it out, tape it on, get to the post office, drop and go

For outside the USA I have to fill out a hard carbon paper copy (imagine in this world, that's how bassackwards we are in this country) with all sorts of stuff, then wait in line, then wait for the postal employee to type my information into their computer. You would not believe how much time this can take. I've seen post office workers kill over 10 minutes with my package.

Then there's the $14.50 - $16.00 USD cost (country dependent) that you have to pay and that's insured as far as the US Customs Outbound and no further. Do you want to pay $14.50 in postage for a $5.00 crystal?

Then there;s the matter of VAT. I can't help it if your government extracts blood out of your pocket to tax what comes in. So if I sell you a $400 Pogue you want me to lie on the paperwork to say it's a broken watch for parts to save you a few GPBs? Complicit in Mail Fraud for your wallet - why would a US seller do that ?

One very famous member here lives about a 45-60 minute round trip from his local post office. He can print out a US label and drop it in mail box if it's CONUS but for overseas he has to make that 1 hour trip. Are you tipping him an extra $25 for his time to send to you? Of course not, but flip that around, why blame him if he were to suddenly say "CONUS"

So you see, we are not provincial boobs waving the stars and stripes. It's not easy to sell to other countries. I do it here for you willingly as a hobbyist. To make a buck you gotta pay.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i'll send away if i know you or if
I'll have to do that. Mailing a watch in for service, I was specifically advised by the service center to ship it via USPS Registered Mail. It got there okay, but I'll have to check into this for next time...
it really depends on the value and if it's worth it to you. when sending a watch to Rolex USA, they instruct you to send all watches, to whichever service center, via USPS registered mail.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
but CONUS just pisses me off... - never Alaska🗻,Never Hawaii🏄‍♀️
Funny you are absolutely right ! It shouldn't be "CONUS only" that's silly, shipping to folks like Longbike in Hawaii as I have done a dozen or more times is as easy as any "continental state" and same cost.

To your point it should be "Not Outside US" or 'No OUS' not 'CONUS only'. I'm guilty of that faux paus myself when selling minor $5 or $10 items or freebies where I pay to post.

Thanks for pointing out that illogical concept.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I want to thank all the people who replied
I now understand the hassle that you can have posting outside the US
I've been looking at the MYUS co and thats probably a solution
Cheers Kerry

·
Special Member
4,762 Posts
Bad beer? Sounds like you're drinking the wrong stuff when you come visit :).

My experience is that when I give a full quote for insured international shipping, folks generally balk and say no. Import duties can kill a deal just as easily.
Bad beer?!
I’m a beer enthusiast, excluding ‘common’ beer, I honestly believe that we have the best crafted beers on the planet. Take a trip to San Diego and try any of the west coast style ipa’s or the northeast hazy’s from the Boston area; trillium, lord hobo, etc.
There’s a vast amount of quality beers just about all over the country, with some ‘staples’ having cross country distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts