The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently after some posts by Tony clockbloke and Mike pollyc on what watch they could buy if they sold their collections.

One of the things I like about Seikos is how affordable a great many of them are, and I pride myself on being (necessarily!) pretty frugal. Recently had to admit though, that around 20 Seikos between £20-£150 all of which I bought because they were 'affordable' is kind of excessive if I'm collecting to wear, rather than collecting to collect.

So have begun the process of moving on some of my collection (mostly the modern stuff or older watches I have multiples of). Some of the funds are going back into savings or imminent-baby fund (and imminent baby's watch fund!) but I've also put aside enough to start to look at watches I once might have thought of as prohibitively expensive. The truth is that selling a few of my 'affordables' gave me more than enough for a used one of these:

(I know, I know - along with my OM this is probably the watch I own that has appeared most on the current 'watches you hate' thread!)

Here are some casualties of consolidation (some left a while back). Funnily enough the one of these I miss most is the very affordable SNK flieger!:

So what do you guys think is the ideal number of watches? Personally I quite like the idea of being able to fit everything in my 12 pillow watch box, and knowing each one gets regular wear...

·
Registered
97 Posts
About 10-12 is my upper limit, I'm talking about actually wearing them, I'd have another 3-4 maybe that would be for the purpose of admiration and not so much wearing, such as some vintage pieces or maybe special inherited pieces.

More than 10-12 and surely cob webs will start to grow, I'm talking about myself of course and how I wear my watches (my rotation is normally monthly or bi-monthly.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I keep telling myself that I have too many watches, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them.:57:

81 in the boxes makes 79 I can't wear every day (I wear one for work and one of an evening, for those of you who think my arithmetic is dodgy).

Except on Sundays as sometimes I only wear one all day, so 80 once a week.

Not forgetting the two on the way and three dead'uns.

Like books, I don't think you can have too many watches !

As for the Sarb 017 I'm hoping to get to see one in the flesh on Saturday. Looks gorgeous.:58:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've had to take stock as well. I've got some that I've never worn but I snagged them off eBay simply to see if I could get it running again. The problem is that once I've done so, the money I've put into renovating them makes selling them a losing proposition.

What I've learned is that if my wife can figure out which watch I'm telling her about in a conversation without seeing it, it's safe. If she doesn't have any idea which one I'm talking about, it's probably because she's never seen it and/or it didn't make much of an impression on her.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the Sarb 017 I'm hoping to get to see one in the flesh on Saturday. Looks gorgeous.:58:

Surely there's nowhere in the UK that actually stocks them!? Or do you mean on someone's wrist?

I like everything about it bar the tacky mock-croc band supplied. Though I have noticed that modern inner bezels (i.e. On this and my SUS GMT, my other nicer seiko) have absolutely no resistance, which strikes me as slightly odd...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I've learned is that if my wife can figure out which watch I'm telling her about in a conversation without seeing it, it's safe. If she doesn't have any idea which one I'm talking about, it's probably because she's never seen it and/or it didn't make much of an impression on her.

The Significant Other test. I like it!

I notice you're not owning up to a number...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Visiting Mike (PollyC) on Saturday. I'm just hoping he hasn't sold it before I get there !

My wife says my watches all look the same.

Suits me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Significant Other test. I like it!

I notice you're not owning up to a number...
LOL, I've been busted... I've never actually done a proper count.

1. Seiko Kinetic Windward
  2. Seiko Samurai
  3. Seiko SKX007
  4. Seiko 6309-7040
  5. Seiko 7002-7039
  6. Seiko 6106-8100
  7. Seiko 6139-7039
  8. Seiko 6139-6002
  9. Seiko 6139-6012
  10. Seiko 6139-6009 (project en route)
  11. Seiko 6217-7000 (neverending project)
  12. Seiko Kinetic of some sort (graduation present)
  13. Seiko M354-5019 (Bond Moonraker Watch)
  14. CWC Royal Navy Diver
  15. Fossil Quartz Chrono
  16. Citizen 52-0110
  17. Citizen 51-2273 (x2)
  18. Citizen AV0030 (bought, repaired, never wore)
  19. Omega Speedmaster Professional ('71, nearly done with restoration)

The sad part is that I know with certainty I've left off a couple others that are in my watch bench.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm in the ultra sad b*stard brigade.

I have a file on all of my watches. Each one with pics, and an Excel file with description, S/No, date of manufacture, 24 hr accuracy, power reserve and any other interesting info.
:57:

Having said that, with the sad news of Melt's loss, perhaps not a bad idea after all ?

·
Administrator
33,859 Posts

I have a file on all of my watches. Each one with pics, and an Excel file with description, S/No, date of manufacture, 24 hr accuracy, power reserve and any other interesting info.

Having said that, with the sad news of Melt's loss, perhaps not a bad idea after all ?
Jeeeeeeeeeze I so wish I could do that !!!! but there just never seems enough hours in the day but I will be ok once I retire.:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm also in this brigade (though admittedly with fewer watches) - why do you think I was able to run off a collage of my flips! :) Just got Twixt app so starting to add accuracy readings etc., though I never seem to look at the watches frequently enough (i.e. every 12 hours) to be sure of the PR - and how long on a winder before it's fully wound anyway?!

I'm afraid it took Melt's unfortunate loss to make me realise I should add serials.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I have done the keeping track game of mine

I have yet a small collection, but since I have started this I have documented but only Make,
Model and serial Numbers.
No need to do all kinds of technical deep stuff, just keeping track that's all.
Anyway there are not that many yet, but I will say this, I might have over ....... 50 Watchs Plus,
now or so. :93::57:And still counting them.
Note:
My cabinet if was to be broken into would have to be done with a ( Cutting Torch ) when I am not home
because it is (Built into a Hollow Tile wall), and it has a front door that I put on when I am not here, and
it has a (Safe Combination Lock) on it, so its impossible if a Thief is not a safe cracker.
When home one would never look at it and see that type of cabinet as a safe.
I don't have that many, but they are mine and will stay mine as long as I want them.
Also if a Thief does come in he is in for a .... ,
" Two x 135 and 128 pound Alaskan Timber Wolf Surprise. ", he never will be able to out match ",
and he will meet my ...... " Trusted Security Guard's ".
I will never have .... " Security Problems " , in this house at all, and many know this too.

·
Special Member
2,885 Posts
I am also in the process of consolidating (theoretically). I had reached a high of circa 100 and am down to sixty give or take. It's getting more and more difficult to part with the ones that remain for any number of reasons. One method I have of justifying keeping them is that I usually wear two to work and then wear a different third watch at home. Unfortunately for me I frequently end up buying with the proceeds as my resistance is weak.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I took stock and built a spreadsheet with details on each watch, strap, part, tool, and accessory - including dimensions, purchase price, service date, etc...

The numbers were staggering - I kind of don't know how I afforded it all.

Seeing the number slowed me down for a bit, but the real constraint is just physical space - I have room for my 2 12-slot watch boxes and not really any room for more.

So for now, when a new watch comes in, something else has to go - and this has put a real damper on my buying since I don't want to lose anybody.

It's probably not long until I come to grips with an auxiliary location for my less-worn watches, but for now my ideal number is 24.

·
Special Member
2,885 Posts
I took stock and built a spreadsheet with details on each watch, strap, part, tool, and accessory - including dimensions, purchase price, service date, etc...

The numbers were staggering - I kind of don't know how I afforded it all.

Seeing the number slowed me down for a bit, but the real constraint is just physical space - I have room for my 2 12-slot watch boxes and not really any room for more.

So for now, when a new watch comes in, something else has to go - and this has put a real damper on my buying since I don't want to lose anybody.

It's probably not long until I come to grips with an auxiliary location for my less-worn watches, but for now my ideal number is 24.
At one point when I ran out of watch box space I converted one of my drawers into an auxiliary 16 watch receptacle. We always seem to find a way to accommodate the compulsion.

·
Special Member
8,032 Posts
Most of us have a 'fluid' collection. At any given time I might have 20-25 Seikos and a bunch of other non-Seikos but a year from now I'll bet I only have 10-12 of these same watches in my 20-25 Seiko count. Not really flipping as much as collecting and enjoying and moving on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well this lovely specimen (just received in trade with another member) is going to make getting down to 12 that much harder!

Better stop with the 'OT' in my 'FS' posts!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I don't know what the right number is, but in hindsight, I know this is to many:

I sold 45 watches this summer in an effort to get the collection under control. Probably an illness of some kind, but it brings me pleasure, so I don't examine it to closely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.