The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hemming and hawing over finding a nice blue diver that won't break the bank for a LONG time.

I had the Sumo (twice), and the fit and finish was astounding, but the small lugs/bracelet weren't a fit for me.

Then I tried the Blue Revolver, and while I liked the watch, it competed with my Monster too much in terms of styling (and value to boot).

I've always really admired the Blue Alba Manta Ray; I love the dial pattern, the case looks very nice and big, and it's a bit distinct and rare to top it off.

The only reason I've hesitated in the past is because I'm not so sure how I feel about hollow end caps, and I cared way too much that the words "Alba" were printed on the dial rather than the words "Seiko."

Presently, I'm loving rubber straps, so there's no problems on that end. I also got over the whole Alba vs. Seiko thing after I realized how immature and silly it was. After all, these watches are/were produced by Seiko (essentially making them Seikos), using the same QC standards that Seiko has in place, etc., etc.

Basically I'm just looking for some feedback on what some owners think about the watch (current or former owners...either one works for me).

Also, where in the heck can I source one of these? I put out a couple of feelers and haven't had much luck.

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sharkfinDave said:
The blue alba manta ray is really nice.
Have you considered a blue sawtooth? Just got this and love the blue dial. ;)

good luck,
Dave.
Thanks for the encouragement, Dave. O0

I've seen the Blue Sawtooth before, and I REALLY like the wave pattern on the dial. I'm kind of getting my sights set on this Manta Ray, but the Sawtooth is definitely one I might consider.

P.S. Saw you were selling the Knight. Can't believe you've still got it for the price you're selling at!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Yes me too, its a great price. I'm losing out mucho $$ :(. I didn't like the integrated bracelet thing and love my zulu/natos. As well as chasing another watch/es. hehe.

Its funny I think selling is a seasonal thing as I've seen many good deals lately and not so good for sellers.
I also love the orange monster a little more than the knight. Thats the one I got from you, and its finally settled and running fine. ;)

I really like the blue manta ray as well, and I have the impression your set to find one. So I hope the watch gods are listening.
I've seen a few posted here a while back, so maybe they will show theirs in support for your decision. ;)
I don't mind the Alba instead of Seiko, as I only have the yellow one and really dig it.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sharkfinDave said:
Yes me too, its a great price. I'm losing out mucho $$ :( . I didn't like the integrated bracelet thing and love my zulu/natos. As well as chasing another watch/es. hehe.

Its funny I think selling is a seasonal thing as I've seen many good deals lately and not so good for sellers.
I also love the orange monster a little more than the knight. Thats the one I got from you, and its finally settled and running fine. ;)

I really like the blue manta ray as well, and I have the impression your set to find one. So I hope the watch gods are listening.
I've seen a few posted here a while back, so maybe they will show theirs in support for your decision. ;)
I don't mind the Alba instead of Seiko, as I only have the yellow one and really dig it.

Cheers, Dave.
Thanks for the well-wishes, Dave. ;D

Also, I'm glad to hear that the OM worked out well and that you're happy with it! I was wondering what had become of that, so I'm ecstatic to hear that things are going well. O0

How does your Manta Ray compare to the Monster in terms of size and heft?

·
Banned
72 Posts
Posting the same reply I did on WUS:

Garrett, roughly, the Blue Mantas (on rubber) go for around US$100 here in Manila, plus or minus a few bucks. No problems finding them around these parts either. If you can't find 'em cheaper anywhere else (counting the US$50 shipping cost from the Philippines), gimme a holler.

The Manta wears larger than a monster due to the longer lugs, but has a lower profile. Weight's the same I think. One disadvantage I noticed is that the bezel on the Manta scratches more easily than on the Monster; I've collected quite a few scuff marks on mine, but none on my OM, and that's considering I use the OM for more rugged activity (e.g., actual dives).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I loved my Blue Manta, I regret having sold it. Very large case but wears as comfortably as a 6105-8110 or 6309-704x (7.5" wrist). Had it with the bracelet, folded end caps are no biggie but they sit below the lugs by design. Never in love with that. In the end I think it's best with rubber. Also love the drilled lugs. All divers should have them. If I ever get one again I'm going to bead blast and replace the hour/minute hands with Ti Sammie's (or Harold's type S).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again to the one of the most kind and generous fellas I know, a Blue Manta Ray is headed my direction.

Thanks for all of the input, fellas. The pics were especially helpful.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You pinpointed one of the knocks against the Manta divers - the oddly fitted hollow end links. If I was buying one today, I'd order a shark mesh to go with it. They weren't available when I had my two Albas, but I can picture the combo, and I bet it would rock!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hey Garrett:

So you like the Manta Ray huh? Hell of a watch. I like it so much I wrote a thorough review of it here:

Collector's Guide To All The Different Alba Manta Ray Diver Variants...

I liked it so much in fact that I bought two more and did a little write up of that here:

My Alba Manta-Ray Family...

and here are my three rascals:

[size=1em][/font]

If I could give you any advice it would be to go with the ones with the bracelet instead of the rubber strap. After you read the two articles, if you have any more questions I would be happy to answer what I know.

[quote=TakesALickin]
You pinpointed one of the knocks against the Manta divers - the oddly fitted hollow end links.[/quote]

Actually That is one of the coolest features, IMHO. To explain, the top of the end cap doesn't sit flush with the lugs. Instead it sits well below them. This looks odd at first, until you realize that at that height they match and follow the line of the rounded side of the case through the lugs. Kind of a neat effect once you notice it.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Quartzimodo's review also made mention of the poor quality and uncomfortable stock rubber strap. Besides, I think this watch looks better on bracelet.

And I dare say, these Alba Manta Rays look a heck of a lot better than any Seiko Monster I have seen.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
minidriver said:
Quartzimodo's review also made mention of the poor quality and uncomfortable stock rubber strap. Besides, I think this watch looks better on bracelet.
In my experience it isn't that the quality is inferior. In fact, I would say that it is noticeably nicer than the popular z-22. I believe this is the same strap seiko uses wither in the Caesar or the sawtooth (one of the two) but with the Alba logo instead of the seiko one. The strap is very nice, but it is STIFF. If it can be believed, I found it to be even stiffer than the Z-22. I do agree with you that it does look MUCH better on it's bracelet. Sadly if you don't like the bracelet, the very unique shape of the end cap means that you will be limited only to straight end replacements, which might not look as good.

·
Banned
72 Posts
^^^What I disliked about the Manta's rubber strap is that it is a b*tch getting the end out of the tight strap keeper when one takes off the watch. I suppose tight fit has a functional purpose, to keep the strap secure during activity, but the amount of pulling force needed to squeeze the end out makes me feel as though I might damage the strap. That's why I opted for a bracelet instead.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isthmus said:
Hey Garrett:

So you like the Manta Ray huh? Hell of a watch. I like it so much I wrote a thorough review of it here:

Collector's Guide To All The Different Alba Manta Ray Diver Variants...

I liked it so much in fact that I bought two more and did a little write up of that here:

My Alba Manta-Ray Family...
Yeah, that was a fantastic review. It definitely played a role (as did Gerry avatar pic at WUS) in my wanting one.

I'm glad these are being talked about, as it's always nice to bring some discussion to different models. O0

Isthmus said:
and here are my three rascals:

[size=1em][/font]
[/quote]

I didn't know you had three of them! How do you like the polished-type surface of the bezel on the orange and black variants?

That shade of orange looks awesome, by the way. This in no way/shape/form a knock against the Monster, but I prefer this shade of orange. ;D

[quote=Isthmus]
If I could give you any advice it would be to go with the ones with the bracelet instead of the rubber strap. After you read the two articles, if you have any more questions I would be happy to answer what I know.
[/quote]

Haha, I guess the only question I would have is, where in the heck can I buy one of the bracelets? lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Garrett,

i bought a similar Pulsar recently. It came in very good used condition and man, it was cheap! I was really lucky, I couldn't have bought a spare 7S26-movement for the money I paid for the watch.
I was a little surprised how heavy and big it is! Though it wears super comfortable, it feels much bigger than my SKX171 for example.
The end caps are nice imho, but the clasp is cheaper than the ones that are mounted on seiko bracelets (yes, that's possible :) )

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a question:
in Quartzimodo's review it says these watches run with a 7S26A movement. Does anybody know if that's correct? I think they were (/mine was) made in 2008, so that should mean they run with a 7S26B, right? Not that it's important, I was just wondering...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Isthmus said:
The strap is very nice, but it is STIFF.
I had the same problem and was going to swap out the strap but before doing this decided to boil the strap (just curl the strap around the inside of a coffee cup and pour in the water, leave for around a minute).

Major improvement, the strap is now quite flexible and much softer and more comfortable and has stayed that way 6 months after doing this.

If you have the standard rubber strap I would suggest giving this a try before trying alternatives.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts