The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I've read plenty of discussions about the 7Sxx movements. Two common themes persisted: [1] it's a workhorse movement and it's great for the price, and [2] it shows that Seiko prioritized cost-cutting over quality. Despite having three 7Sxx watches, I never cared either way.

My 7S35-based Samurai was worn daily for over five years, has never been serviced, and remains one of my most dependable watches. More recently, I added a SKX007 and SKX011 to the fold, both of which were accurate enough for my needs. Then, suddenly and inexplicably, my SKX007 stopped working. I cleaned it, lubricated it, checked that the gear train was moving without binding, etc. Eureka, it worked! And then it stopped again overnight. I'd be less annoyed if I could figure out what is causing it, but now I understand why people would say that the quality of the 7Sxx movements pales in comparison to 6xxx models. My 61xx and 6309 watches will run no matter what poor state they're in!

On the other hands, perhaps it just felt that Seppukuhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku was preferable to having another 7S26 in its presence. :grin: The world may never know!

·
Special Member
6,523 Posts
Interesting. Thanks.

I have old 7005, 7006 & 7009 and 7025 movements that just stop sometimes too. I agree my 6XXX movements never quit (except the demon-haunted 6139- that even watchmakers couldn't exorcise)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Having worked on loads of 7 series movements there is not much different in the powertrain to differentiate any reason for reduced reliability compared to the 6 series. The 7 is plainer and simplified but imo not lower in quality or production tolerances. I prefer the 6's balance assembly and automatic framework.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Having worked on loads of 7 series movements there is not much different in the powertrain to differentiate any reason for reduced reliability compared to the 6 series. The 7 is plainer and simplified but imo not lower in quality or production tolerances. I prefer the 6's balance assembly and automatic framework.
What he said. This link is a great comparison between the two movements. I was surprised.
http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/4...15-with-a-comparison-to-the-7s26#.VABRLJXlrIV

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you referring to the newer 6R series, or the older 61xx/62xx/63xx models? I'm not suggesting they've paid less attention to tolerances, but there's a clear difference in the feel of the parts. I also prefer the 6xxx balance assembly and I'm convinced that's what is causing the problems with this particular watch. I've got a spare balance cock, so I'm going to swap it out and see what happens.

Sometimes this is the fun (and infurating!) part of the hobby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts