The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
29,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my daughters works for a large supermarket (Tesco's) and during this virus thing she as hardly had a day off work, today she will finish a 15 day straight without a day off and during the last week she has been directing customers to when they could enter the store because of all this social distancing and the number of customers allowed in the shop at any one time.

She said it's amazing and shocking the whining, complaining and verbal abuse she has had to put up with from both young/old and male/female while just doing her job, the general public can be arseoles at times.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I try to do my shopping once a week here in NJ, at a local Trader Joe's. I have to say people fall in line very nicely. It sometimes takes me an hour to get into the store, waiting for the seniors to finish their shopping (first hour is senior hour)the line is very orderly, 8 feet apart. 25 people at the store at a time. One out, one in.
Carts are wiped down, you get a disinfectant wipe upon entry as well
Everyone maintains a safe distance in the store. Checkout person separated by plexi scans and bags your groceries as you wait about 8 feet away. Them their station is disinfected as the next customer patiently waits. Feels very professional and safe.
Rules are explained while you wait on line outside by a very personable lady walking around with a bubble machine filled with disinfectant.
Its the only store I feel safe in. In other places even the one way aisles with arrows taped to the floor are not respected.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Even on a non virus day, it's like an episode of Zombies dawn of the dead meets the hills have eyes tribute to the Addams family- especially in the big supermarkets.
A bunch of ignorant wuckfits, will behave so, virus or not.
There are a lot of people here, who should be put out of our misery.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
God bless her. Working retail has to be just about the toughest job in the world - there is no filtering of people you deal with - you deal with the lowest common denominator -

On the bright side, made a run to Home Depot yesterday and had to wait in line as we were in the queue - took about 10 minutes to get in, no wait to check out. Everyone behaving well.

She's learning some good life skills John ...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is is sad that the folks working their butts off to keep supply chains open have to deal with such nitwits. Kudos to the OP's daughter for putting up with them. Why some feel the need to be violent or aggressive to those who are just "doing the right thing" is beyond me. 2 weeks ago there was a well advertised protest to "Open Florida" the goal was to block Main St and US41 (ala French farmers maybe) the good news is even with all of the social media ads and banners everywhere only about 6 cars showed up:) My wife was furloughed when Bed Bath and Beyond closed their doors and no one knows at this point if they will ever re-open, they were having "issues" even before covid-19. All of my supply houses are curbside pickup prepaid only and my 2 trips to Home Depot since March were curbside also, I think curbside has really cut my time down when getting materials.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In a supermarket not so far far away...

May the 4th be with all key workers during these times especially those that have to deal with the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
To basically scream at the messenger just doing their job is wrong.

However, people are growing impatient with these arbitrary rules regarding the Hypedemic.

I could go on and on about arbitrary and differing rules from state to state here that make no sense.

Yes the virus is very real, but the hype even more so.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Understanding the stages of natural human reaction to a life-changing situation, such as this pandemic, would greatly help your daughter get thru her stressful job. People behave in various ways, depending on where they are in that curve, before reaching the acceptance stage.

The upside is, as Mike puts it: "She's learning some good life skills"!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I work in the mining industry where my daily food is supplied. We have gone from a buffet style setup, with all kinds of goodies, to a line up for social distancing. The range of food is pretty good, and I am still served by a group of ever helpful, tired souls.

I will be forever greatfull to them for their efforts to keep me fed and try to show this whenever possible. I look at my job and say " yeah I help dig a hole and send off black stuff to make heat" big deal. I don't stand face to face with the public and possibly breath in a lurgy. There is lot of bravery in what these people do. Good health to them all I say!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts