The Watch Site banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Special Member
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted my almost black looking 6139-6005 in today's WRUW. This prompted me to check the dial code and date of my other 6139-6005, which is as blue as my later (76) no text 6005
The two resist dials are only two months apart and share the same dial code-6009T
Dark is February 72, lighter blue is December 71.
I know there is a clear difference between the golds, one being more egg yolk and other lemon. Are there any observations about the blue ones?

Rob

Pics are not the best but needed them side by side in natural sunlight
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
First Lady
2,065 Posts
Could it be that one watch had more sun exposure over the years, causing the dial to fade. I think they probably all started out dark blue. Here is a pic of my later production blue dial taken by Simon, without the crystal:

I think we see a lot of variation, depending on how pics are taken, ie light conditions and reflections from the non AR coated crystals.

My example above is from Jan., 1977. It should look amazing when it gets back from Wales.

Here is my proof in two different lighting situations to illustrate my point:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,473 Posts
I believe that there are clear differences in the -600x dials over the years that they were produced. They vary from almost black to a deep blue to a green-blue in later models. But I haven’t done a good study based on dial codes. I put in the link to a thread I did a while ago looking at my three different blue dial watches as soon as I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Special Member
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kat, both watches came to me as filthy originals (together) the one with the almost black dial (looks black 90% of the time unless in direct sunlight) originally had an almost white inner ring, so out of the two it's the darker dial that received more sun exposure.
Just surprised that they share the same dial code and are two months apart

Rob

·
Special Member
867 Posts
Here’s a pic from a while back of four of my early-ish blue dials … IIRC left to right are 6139-6009, 6139-6001, 6139-6009, 6139-6001. Under fairly consistent lighting, it looks as though both -6001s have somewhat darker dials than the -6009s — but as Kat points out, these blue dial finishes can look quite different when the angle of lighting changes just a bit.

In addition, some of the earlier dials seem to have much more of a matte finish than others, and I‘m not sure I’ve been able to discern a pattern. Finally, I’m sure that the type of crystal makes a difference, as they all seem to have different characteristics of reflection and light transmission. Mine are generally OE, Sternkreuz, or Tom Robinson — but I couldn’t tell you offhand which watch has which crystal.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

·
Special Member
3,473 Posts
Here we go: 6139 Blue Dial Hues

Reactions: scubarob99

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was literally having a similar conversation with my missus yesterday, when she asked me if I'd bought a new watch as my other one had a black dial!

I'm keen to take some photos of the dial when the movement is out next week (NOS crystal being fitted). I'll share them in this thread

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for refreshing the past thread, Combat , I missed it somehow. Love the color discriptions and it's dead on.
My December 71 is greenish blue in the sun, the 'black' one is gray with bluish accents, and the 69 6000 is just straight up navy blue.
I've had them all out of their cases at some point and light or crystal makes no difference at all, I was just wondering if there was some method to the madness.

Rob

·
Special Member
1,957 Posts
I have a 6005 with a dark blue tint, and a 6002 that has a greenish Tin in the right light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accept that there are clear contrasts in the - 600x dials throughout the long term that they were created. They fluctuate from practically dark to a dark blue to a green-blue in later models. Be that as it may, I haven't done a decent report in view of dial codes. I put in the connection to a string I did some time prior checking out my three diverse blue dial looks when I can track down it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Before I found this forum, for a long time I thought my 6005 had a black dial. It wasn't till I started reading all the cool stuff on the SCWF that I realized my watch was probably a very dark blue.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
well i have had over 20 of these over the years
i have seen at least two versions of the dial colors of these blue ones
the early versions seem to have more depth and variation
most of the later version ones the dials were more matte in finish
i actually forgot i had a very poor condition i thought dial in my stash
and with a little cleaning i found it has that same beautiful sheen to it
thank u all for reminding me about this
for some reason the blue 6139's are my favorites
God Bless,John