The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have done and do a lot of photography, birds & wildlife, are my main interests - but my efforts regarding taking images of my watches do disappoint me .....in a couple of ways........1). I'm not very good at it, and 2). close up shots bring out all the imperfections which I never really see in everyday wear.

Here's an example - a one owner 7548, nursed all it's life, looks wonderful on the wrist.........but then the digital camera spoils it all - well not really, just indicates I need to do some work

Is it easy for a complete novice to take the hands off and clean them,

if it was a Rolex Sub it would probably be called "patina"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah the hands will get this tarnish. I use to put up with it until I got the tools and practice to bring them back to the original factory finish. The transform is amazing once done. Sometimes it's not 100% but it is generally very close.

Edit : should mention this is not an easy thing to do and it's not going to magically bring back plating that has flaked off.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Interesting. I had a similar experience which didn't dictate a macro photo to kind of put me off. The macro shot simply conveyed an aesthetic that I hadn't noticed when I bought the SRPC41. The problem was the union of hands at the pinion which to my eyes looked like a bit of a mash up. For me, that necessitated a mod.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used to own a magnifying glass......but I threw it away! Everything is imperfect when you get to the macro level

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
If it is old misty grease or oil I'd remove it otherwise the edge f the lume may start going black.
Or the plating could get worse.
I'd remove, clean carefully and dry those hands.

All these watches have imperfections, however. Even NOS or supposedly NOS stuff has some sign of wear or problem somewhere if you look for it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts