The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best to use for cleaning a watch, being I can't get one dip. I have a choice of naphtha, lighter fluid, m.e.k. methel ethle keytone, or asatone, thanks...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
marks said:
what is the best to use for cleaning a watch, being I can't get one dip. I have a choice of naphtha, lighter fluid, m.e.k. methel ethle keytone, or asatone, thanks...

Mark,

I'm pretty sure One Dip is only used for hairsprings. One Dip is nothing more than Tetrachloroethylene (a.k.a. perchloroethene). In other words, dry cleaning fluid. Naptha can contain benzene, which is not the healthiest stuff to be exposed to. It's probably safe for the movement, though. I've heard of folks using lighter fluid successfully (in other words, it cleans, doesn't leave a residue, and won't dissolve the shellac that holds the pallet stones). I'm pretty sure acetone will dissolve the shellac that holds the pallet stones, so I wouldn't use it. Someone with more experience will likely chime in.

Best,
Myles

EDIT: I would wager that MEK will dissolve shellac, too, so I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
marks said:

Are we talking about the watch parts (case, crystal etc..) or the movement? I assume movement from the listed materials you are considering in which case I am no expert so will let others chime in. For all the watch case parts I use water and a little jewelery cleaner (or soap sometimes if it is disgusting wrist cheese that needs to be removed) in a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts