The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a few quartz ww with pushers for various functions and I'd like to ask if anyone has found a good way to clean/polish the tubes into which the pushers and their rubber gaskets fit? After having delved into a few of these, it's clear to me these need...and most often don't get...regular maintenance, as evidenced by the damage water intrusion creates having gotten past the gasket. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I use a plastic tube wrapped with felt paper to clean the case opening around the tube, you can make it out of a straw. If there are any score marks I'll put some diamond paste on the felt to polish it out. The inside of the tube I'll use a toothpick, then run it the case through a sonic cleaning. The inside of the pusher a toothpick works good before a sonic bath.

·
Super Moderator
2,058 Posts
Dental floss brushes are ideal and come in a multitude of different sizes.
Just make sure you dont use it to floss your teeth after youve cleaned out the pusher tube:grin:

s-l640.jpg

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Something softer than the material you're working with, non-marring tools maintain the integrity of the tube sealing surface.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Honestly, I use a rounded tooth pick and tear off a small piece of a corner on a paper towel and wrap it around the end of the tooth pick in a clockwise rotation so it conforms to the tooth pick tip. I then dip the pick and paper in lighter fluid and run this into the crown tube and each of the pusher tubes a few times rotating in a clockwise rotation . Cleans the tubes really well. Next, I run the case through the ultrasonic cleaner for a final clean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep toothpicks here too.

After soaking in dish soap and water, brush of the excess dirt and use a toothpick and metal polish. The polish is a mild abrasive and will really clean grime and corrosion as well as smooth out the contact surface.

You may need to sharpen the toothpick but the polish usually softens it enough to fit the tube.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Toothpick or similar and autosol which is my secret weapon in my watchmaking arsenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't get these - use a toothpick as others have typed. One hundred of something you don't need won't help to do one job.
I did order them and used them on a Seiko 7T32-6H70 case I was working on. I did find them useful...they have a place in my shop. I also did use a toothpick, as the stem had rusted and left a big mess in its tube that this swab could not handle. So, I'm satisfied these are a useful tool.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't get these - use a toothpick as others have typed. One hundred of something you don't need won't help to do one job.
That's what I love about this site, so open minded. I realize they don't cost over 20 USD apiece, and they're not made by Bergeon, but I still have the same packet that i ordered from Esslinger over a year ago, and I restore, on average, 15-20 watches a month. Use one, again, and again, and.....................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts