The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clasp on my 6138 keeps opening on me. I think it's bent a little. Anyone know how to straighten these out or if deployant only available. I thought I had a spare bracelet but it turns out its a completely different bracelet with different links and different end links

Any ideas what the other bracelet for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Researcher
5,304 Posts
You can sometimes bend the two clasp tangs back a little (picture three/five) and this will help to retain the clasp. But sometimes the metal has been weakened to a point where it won't maintain it's shape for too long. The slack in the other hinge points/pins/bars in the folding mechanism also has a bearing on retention.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to remove clasp end from 2nd bracelet but it is 4mm or so smaller so not sure it will work. The whole deployant mechanism is smaller on 2nd bracelet

The rest of the deployant seems in good condition and hinges are tight. No wobble or slack. Hopefully I can straighten the end clasp or find a suitable replacement

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
First, try not to mess with the tabs on the buckle cap. These can become thin and susceptible to easy breakage.

This situation usually occurs when the folding parts are over-arced as in this photo...

To remedy this, one must use a pair of small pliers to turn the OUTER pin holders slightly away from the buckle cap. This must be done in small, patient steps to avoid any further damage...

It is also very important both folding elements are properly curved and nest perfect with one another.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps that is exactly it. This is as close as the 2 sides get without pressure.

do you see a bend. I don't with my bad yet untrained eyes.

·
Super Moderator
3,122 Posts
Bracelet parts are not readily available for vintage Seikos, no. Given that there is some collectibility to this particular one, and we wouldn't want to be responsible for giving advice that leads to you making it worse, why not take it to a qualified watchmaker to adjust for you?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine in the past, I just bent the two tangs back a little. I hold the clasp & line each tang up against the edge of a table say & place some force to bend slightly & test. All good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it, thanks. I just put a little pressure on the deployant sections to get pressure off the clasp. stays nicely closed and didnt have to mess with the clasp

·
Special Member
7,365 Posts
Final comment - be sure to check adjustment with the 12 o'clock side of the bracelet inside the clasp when closed - without this the claps 'overcloses' and won't stay shut.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Final comment - be sure to check adjustment with the 12 o'clock side of the bracelet inside the clasp when closed - without this the claps 'overcloses' and won't stay shut.
can you explain the 12 o clock, I dont understand what you mean. I know when the hinged sections would close there was a lot of pressure needed for them to meet so I made a very small adjustment to relieve the pressure

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Bracelet parts are not readily available for vintage Seikos, no. Given that there is some collectibility to this particular one, and we wouldn't want to be responsible for giving advice that leads to you making it worse, why not take it to a qualified watchmaker to adjust for you?
Noah fixed one of mine once with a ball point pen but I wasn't paying attention to the super secret watch master club trick so I would say don't mess with it or send it to a professional.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know when the hinged sections would close there was a lot of pressure needed for them to meet so I made a very small adjustment to relieve the pressure

There should be no pressure to close the clasp, ie: the clasp that comes over to meet the other underneath it to lock should be the same shape/curve otherwise I would say it's bent & either needs careful re-shaping or replacement.

·
Special Member
7,365 Posts
can you explain the 12 o clock, I dont understand what you mean. I know when the hinged sections would close there was a lot of pressure needed for them to meet so I made a very small adjustment to relieve the pressure
All I am saying is that to properly align/bend the small catch tabs, the clasp must have the bracelet part that is adjustable actually inside the closed clasp. Do not try to adjust the clasp with the band disconnected from the 12 o'clock side of the watch head. (The clasp always swings away from the 6 o'clock marker, so that is the direction the clasp faces when being closed.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh ok. I didn't touch the clasp or the "teeth" I believe the clasp was opening because of too much pressure from the sections the clasp connects to. They didn't rest on each other. There was a gap and forcing them together to close the clasp was creating pressure so it would pop open. I adjusted those sections just enough so the pressure was such that the clasp no longer pops open

·
Registered
1 Posts
solved. I took a staple and threaded it behind the button to release the clasp nearest the wrist, clipped it and bent the staple in place as a little collar. It prevents that button nearest my wrist from being pressed. the clasp works fine and releases using only the other button (towards the arm). now I can move my hand freely and it does not unlatch the clasp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts