The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the Citizen FAQ page:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-uk/faq-category/water-resistance/

"A primary factor about water resistance to keep in mind is that it is not a permanent condition. When a piece is new, it meets the specifications for water resistance as indicated on the case back. However, as the watch ages, the gaskets which seal the watch become dry and brittle diminishing its water resistant quality. Exposure to environments such as chlorinated pools, salt water or soaps from showering can accelerate drying of the gaskets. We recommend that the gaskets be changed at least every 18 months to maintain the water resistant quality of your timepiece. If the watch is exposed to chlorinated pools, soaps salt water, etc. on an occasional basis, we recommend that the gaskets be changed on a yearly basis. If the watch is exposed to the previously mentioned environments on a daily basis, we recommend the gaskets be changed every six months to insure the water resistant quality."

Since I spend a lot of time in the ocean and also wash dishes with my Citizen Eco Drive on my wrist every day, it appears that I need to change the gasket on my watch every 6 months to maintain its water resistance.

I know that a major benefit of Eco Drive is that it keeps batteries out of landfills, but the reason it appealed to me is that I wouldn't have to take my watch in to have the batterie replaced on regular intervals. I LOVE my Citizen but I'll admit I'm rather disappointed that the gasket needs to be changed so often.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help answer my questions about this.

1) Do I need to take these guidelines seriously? For example, if I waited a year to change the gasket would my 10 bar timepiece start leaking when I go swimming?

2) How should I go about replacing the gasket? I want to be careful not to void my warrenty!

3) Can anyone reccomend a truly maintenance free timepiece in the <$500 price range. I believe all Citizen models need their gaskets changed every 6 months, do Seikos have this same problem?

Thank you!

·
Special Member
1,903 Posts
It would be helpful to know which Citizen you currently have. I've heard that the Citizen BN0000-04 pretty bulletproof. It has a monocoque body, so there's no back gasket to worry about. From personal experience with Seiko divers, if you lubricate the rear gasket with silicone grease when you replace the battery, they can last for ages. I've never pressure tested any of them, but they hold up in the swimming pool just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Citizen BM 8180-03e "Eco Drive" (caliber E100) that's worked perfectly for over nine years; I haven't done a single thing to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be helpful to know which Citizen you currently have. I've heard that the Citizen BN0000-04 pretty bulletproof. It has a monocoque body, so there's no back gasket to worry about. From personal experience with Seiko divers, if you lubricate the rear gasket with silicone grease when you replace the battery, they can last for ages. I've never pressure tested any of them, but they hold up in the swimming phool just fine.
Hi twall3 thanks for joining, I really appreciate your input!

I have a titanium Citizen Eco Drive, MODEL: BM7170-53L. It has 10 bar water resistance and I think I need to maintain at least 5 bar resistance for swimming.

I checked out the MODEL: BN0000-04H and it looks like a beautiful watch! It has 30 bar water resistance so I see why you reccomend it for the water. Do you think that the higher water resistance translates to not needing to replace the gasket as often though?

The reason that I ask is because the FAQ page isn't model specific, the guidelines Citizen puts out appear to be the same for all models. It seems logical that a 30 bar watch would stay water resistant longer then a 10 bar watch but I don't really understand watch gaskets enough to say for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Droyal, offby1, thanks for your input! This kind of reassurance is what I was really hoping to hear.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I think that is Citizen being conservative.
Droyal, if 6 months is a conservative timeframe what would you consider a liberal timeframe for replacing the gasket on a Citizen that is exposed to salt and soap often?

I have a Citizen BM 8180-03e "Eco Drive" (caliber E100) that's worked perfectly for over nine years; I haven't done a single thing to it.
offby1, have you been wearing that watch for the last 9 years? Has it been expose to soap or salt often?

·
Special Member
3,387 Posts
Droyal, offby1, thanks for your input! This kind of reassurance is what I was really hoping to hear.

Droyal, if 6 months is a conservative timeframe what would you consider a liberal timeframe for replacing the gasket on a Citizen that is exposed to salt and soap often?

offby1, have you been wearing that watch for the last 9 years? Has it been expose to soap or salt often?

Based on my experience--lots of saltwater at beaches with screw down crown and case back Citizens and Seikos--I've never had a gasket failure. That said, I do have my watches that I take to the beach water tested by my watch maker, but only after I've owned them for a couple of years and after a lot of exposure. In my opinion, changing a gasket(s) ever 6/12 months is not needed unless your watch is exposed to very extreme conditions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMO, the more the case is opened, if applicable, the gasket longevity becomes an issue...once a gasket is set, lubed and sealed, i dont think i would mess with anything but i suppose it will never hurt to check. the only water watch is my monster and it gets a new gasket when i have it cleaned every 5 to 6 years. since i have been on this forum, i RARELY read posts about divers leaking.
jim

·
Special Member
2,886 Posts
So, considering that Citizen wants us to send it to them for anything that involves the caseback removal, if I would send it to them every 6 months for a gasket change, the watch would be either at Citizen or in transit.

Rob

·
Special Member
1,903 Posts
I was flipping through the manual I have for a Seiko 7n36 and was reminded of this thread when I came across the statement:

"It is recommended that the watch be checked once every 2 to 3 years by an AUTHORIZED SEIKO DEALER or SERVICE CENTER to ensure that the case, crown, gasket and crystal seal remain intact."

Mind you that says "checked" not "replaced." As others have said, my guess is that the 6 month specification you came across for your Citizen was written by a lawyer, not an engineer :)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I used to be a Watchmaker for Citizen here in NZ.
We were NEVER told any thing like the above and our boss was keen to make $$ so would've tried every avenue to do that.

Its BULLDUST basically so ignore it :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts