The Watch Site banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father bought his Skyhawk C650-Q02098 around 20+ years ago. He's worn it nearly everyday since then. It's extremely beat up, but the worst part is the mineral crystal. It had deep gashes spanning the entire glass. I would like to get a new crystal for him for Christmas. Does anyone know where to source a replacement? Would it be easier to send it to Citizen? I've heard horror stories of people sending watches to Rolex to get them repaired and them replacing everything. I ONLY want a new crystal. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my first post, if anyone cares. 馃

Registered
Mr Mahina,
You could purchase a new crystal directly from Citizen, about 20 USD, and includes a new nylon gasket. I always use a generic crystal, they're about 10% the cost of Citizen's, and, they're flat, so the dial face is not distorted when viewing from an angle. The closest size is 28.8 mm wide, by 2.25 mm thick. They are available from ST Supply. I've gone through hundreds of Skyhawk and Blue Angels restorations, and always re-use the existing nylon gasket, unless it's damaged. Seeing as I pressure test anyways, makes no sense to spend the additional money on new if existing is perfectly serviceable. You could send your watch over here if you like. I charge about 35 USD to service the case, and replace the crystal.

Aloha from Maui,
Thomas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thomas,
I actually sourced a sapphire crystal through a jeweler just a few days ago. Thanks for the help. I will keep you in mind if I have any other projects in the future.
Aloha from Alabama,
Mr. Moon

Registered
I have looked all over for sapphire crystals of that size, size being 28.8mm wide, by 2.25mm thick. Keep in mind, that the majority of watch crystals, that are readily available, come in increments of .5mm, starting at 10mm or so. Finding a 28.5mm wide crystal is very easy, 28.8mm wide, a bit more difficult. Add the depth of the crystal into the equation, 2.25mm thick, which is the proper size for the watch case you're referencing, and things become more difficult. I've tried EVERYBODY, ON THE PLANET, for crystals 28.8x2.25, and ST Supply is the only source. NO ONE has sapphire crystals, out of the envelope, that are 28.8mm x 2.25mm. They can be custom cut from a larger crystal, but the 2.25 thickness blank would be difficult to source. Sooo, what I'm saying, is that I would be somewhat skeptical about a 'jeweler' having a sapphire crystal that will fit your watch case, properly, without a lot of glue.

Or a BIG hammer, which kind of defeats the purpose. Ask your jeweler to pressure test the case when they're pau...

Aloha from Maui, Mr. Mahina

Registered
I take all of the above back, well, most of it. I double checked on Star Time, they won't sell anything to me, as I'm viewed as a 'hobbyist', even though I refurbish and sell over 20K worth of Citizen watches per year. They do have sapphire crystals, in the 28.8mm diameter, and in either the 2.5 or 2.0 mm thickness. So, the width would be correct, but not the thickness. If you're paying attention to that type of thing. One of the last watches I worked on, a Citizen Blue Angels AT, had a brand new crystal in it. Quite nice, until it fell out as I was removing the movement. Off by .1mm, don't take much. They weren't paying attention.

Aloha, and have a great Thanksgiving

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thomas, the jeweler fell through. Is there a possibility you can send me the link to find a mineral crystal on ST supply? If not, maybe I could buy one directly from you. I can install. Due to it not being my own watch, I'm not comfortable sending it away. I don't want to risk losing it in shipping.
Thanks,
Mr. Moon

Registered
Just google ST Supply. All Watch Parts has a similar size, same width, 28.8mm, but a bit thicker, 2.3mm. 2.25 ends up perfectly flush with the bezel, which is what I always look for. All Watch Parts might be less on the shipping.

Aloha,
Thomas

Registered
Yes, 28.8mm wide by 2.25mm thick. You need to specify in the drop down menu at ST Supply that you want 2.25mm thick. 2mm is too thin, 2.5mm to thick. Most watch manufacturers use crystal in .5mm width increments. And, to keep it simple, they start with 20-20.5-21-21.5, etc. Citizen, just to be a pain in the okole, starts at 20.3-20.8-21.3-21.8. The attached pic is how you want the crystal to sit in relation to the bezel.
Automotive lighting Golf equipment Automotive design Sports equipment Hood
Watch Analog watch Silver Everyday carry Clock

Registered
I buy from them all the time. But, then again, I'm a part time horologist. Danger is my business............ It's probably more your browser then ST Supply. They're not exactly operating out of the back of a van.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts