The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing E-bay with no intention of buying anything, you know, just to see what's about.

I was looking at Citizen Eco-Drives for my wife, but some men's watches came up in the search, and I instantly fell in love with this:

Looking over my shoulder she said "You are NOT paying £70 for a watch !" (she seriously has no clue how much I've paid for some of my others !)

"No dear" says I and promptly go on to read the reviews.

I have at times been informed that my sense of humour is a little warped, but some of the reviews just cracked me up. Here are a few that may amuse you too.

How much time do we have? Not very long, actually. Time goes by way too fast. Having a watch on your wrist that notifies you of each second ticking by is unnerving. Unless you're timing an event or something, it's unnecessary. You tell the time to someone in hours and minutes, not seconds (unless you're Sheldon Cooper). Thankfully this watch does away with that.

So, I wanted a time piece that would epitomize the black hole of time. Because time gets sucked away into that vacuous black vortex, going where we know not. The bracelet graces my wrist with firm but assured conformity. The Eco-drive system ensures that I'll never need to worry about the battery, one less concern in addition to the lack of seconds to remind me how fast time is going. A soothing, reassuring but cool comfort of black nothingness.

And so I wore this watch on my wrist and everything began to go black. I slipped away into the droning swirl of time itself. I became nothing but black. Darkness incarnate. Warmed by brushed steel in deep midnight heart of darkness black, taking my body heat and giving me back just a little in return.

I had to come back to write this review. Just to let you know of the special secret gift this watch bestows. I wish I could describe it in more detail, but words fail me. You must own it to know it... And now, I put it back on and fade . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . into nothingness.

Apparently this watch can be a little difficult to read, which explains this one:

Looks are everything in a watch. This one fits the bill. Absolutely stunning regardless whether you can tell the time. Totally fits our lifestyle - if we want to know what time it is we can check out our Iphones. Watches are obsolete, so why not wear one thats impossible to read. Love the Eco-Drive features. You can charge it for a year with 11 hours in the sun. If it stops after a year WHO Cares, you can't see it anyway. Way to go Citizen, you've done it again.

And this one is the one that made me decide to go for it and face the wrath of Mrs L later:

Slick and stylish. One of a kind. People say you can't see the face but I read it just fine unless I'm in a really dark room. Who cares anyway. [email protected] love this thing honestly.

:s_laugh:

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I had my eye on one of those blackout Citzens for a while now Dani. They are £162 at Creation which put me off (too expensive) so £70 from Amazon seems like a bargain. You are artful at creating a separate dimension for watch prices for Mrs L:93:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, sorry, my original post may have been a bit misleading. The watch was (used but allegedly good as new) on E-bay, sitting at £70, with one day to go. I read the reviews on Amazon and decided I just had to have it. I set a snipe for just over £100 and got it for half way between.

I had seen the one on Creation and couldn't justify even the reduced price (As if I can justify any new watches :rolleyes: !)

Pics to follow once it's mine.

If I can see it !:grin:

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I would not worry about it.......time is an illusion, or should that be time is an affliction?:biggrin:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I've just removed the second hand from my own watches (-:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing, I've just removed the second hand from my own watches (-:

:85:

I nearly spat the last of my wine over my netbook !

Since reading these reviews, I'm perhaps not going to be quite so concerned about per second accuracy in future.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update- it's (finally) arrived.

I think. Now where did I put it ? :grin:

After a bit of a kerfuffle with the E-bay seller it arrived today. To quote the inimitable Zaphod Beeblebrox: "It's so black..... Light just falls into it !"

This is not a badly done photo, it really is hard to see in the wrong light.

I took it outside and after many attempts to get the contrast between the face and hands to show, which involved bright sunlight (well, it is and Eco drive), I managed to get a reasonable pic.

It's a great fit, despite having a weird deployment catch that makes the band seamless when closed. The sapphire crystal shows every fingerprint, but I guess the answer is not to put my fingers on it !

All in all I'm very happy with it. Not sure about Mrs L though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts