The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the significance (if any) of the "X" scratched in the back of a Citizen Promaster/Aqualand watch?

I've been seeing it a lot lately on Citizen watches for sale on ebay. Some sellers disclose the X scratched on the back, but offer no meaning.

I'm wondering if it is a factory reject or something done in the Citizen repair department, or a common marking that jewelers use to denote something...negative?

I've attempted to post an example, hopefully it worked.

I've purchased a few "junker" watches which have this mark, but I've seen operable watches with it too.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Welcome the the forum..well i have seen that myself on a few and i was sold by the seller that they were marked that way to show they were not working...but i am not sure if that is true...i dont know why anyone would do that..someone here must know....glad to have you with us

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Hi and welcome

:welcome:, that's very interesting to see. WOW destruction and
really did not need it. But a case back can be found.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a 6306-7000 sold as "non working" with a deep "X" scratched on the back. When opened, the only problem was the rotor screw was loose, and after tightening, it works perfectly + - 8 sec/24. I have seen several on eBay with that mark, but do not know if it really means something. It seems sacrilegious to me to make that on a watch, even if it is a non-working. I don't know if it means something...

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
it is shameful that they do that...

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I would say

I probably could take a chance at it, have a friend that's good at those things.
he taught me how to get some of them off and it works out good too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not surprised. It's common in a lot of industries. You deface/alter the supposedly faulty product so and cannot sold be as new and at full value. The watch companies don't care about old watches, there's no money in that. The money is in selling a new watch. Same as car companies.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. Another thought as similar to above, in industry, it is often not allowed to mix serial numbers, so maybe these watches were "totaled" and had the covers defaced so the covers couldn't be reused with other cases/movements and passed off as a legit watch (regardless of the intention). The SN should provide info on all the other components of the watch such as build dates which reflect lots/batches of parts from suppliers. Were there to be a warranty or recall issue with any component, affected watches could be identified by the SN. Once you switch casebacks, you've lost traceability.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found out today that the X on the back is put there by Citizen. These watches are considered irreparable. If Citizen receives a watch with an X on the back for repair, they won't work on it, as they have already deemed it irreparable. So, if you see a watch for sale with an X on the back and it is claimed to be in working order, be skeptical and know Citizen won't ever touch it, though others may.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
great info..i did not know that but it makes sense..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts