The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

So great to find a site that emphasizes Seikos and Citizens!

I have a Navihawk C300-Q00214, and while it's working, I cannot reset it. When I pull the mode button out, the digits do not flash, and subsequently, I can't begin the reset / set process.

I noticed this yesterday, now that DST is here.

When I pull the button out, it clicks very solidly, but the movement doesn't notice. When I push the mode button in, the modes change, and I can start the stopwatch, timer, etc. But I cannot adjust anything - alarms, countdown timer setting, anything.

Can anyone suggest something to do here?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum...glad to have you with us...tell more about your watch...have you had any other problems before this?....battery has been changed recently?...have you had it apart for any reason...God Bless John...do not worry we will help you get it working again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well hello and welcome to the forum...glad to have you with us...tell more about your watch...have you had any other problems before this?....battery has been changed recently?...have you had it apart for any reason...God Bless John...do not worry we will help you get it working again
Hi John! Thanks for the welcome!!

The answers to your questions:

1. No other problems before today, but to be honest, I hadn't looked at it in a long time. I bought it months ago (from eBay) and put it aside, when the analog part was accurate - handy buying it from someone in my time zone!

On Saturday, when I noticed it wasn't resetting, I took the battery out and put it back in without testing it (then performed the recommended AR-short) - the battery's not new, I don't have another one to throw in there, but I will get one, if that might be the issue.

2. I had cleaned and re-assembled another C300 (C300-E80290) earlier in the day on Saturday, I received that one from another eBay vendor in the mail on Friday.

When it got here, it was in a few pieces - I think he'd tried to take the movement out, but the mode button wasn't removed, so the movement was not set properly inside the case, and the cover was just taped on to keep the whole works together in the bubble-wrap.

Thanks to a handy Google search, I was able to determine how to get the mode button out (using the little lever one pushes down), and took out the other buttons, cleaned the inside of the case and the buttons, then reassembled it. Now that one works (no sound, the little spring piece didn't come with the watch, which is a drag) just fine.

I am familiar with taking watches apart to the point of removing the module / movements and buttons and things like that, cleaning everything with isopropyl alcohol and such, and reassembling the entire works, but I've never had to perform extensive surgery. Some of the restorations I've seen on this site are incredible, and I'm awed by the patience and skill of you guys.

Anyway, that's the story - there's no little piece inside the watch waving a flag at me, yelling, "Hey, I'm the problem." so I hope you have some ideas!

I appreciate the help, and congratulations on a great site!

Patrick

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well i would do is just start over...if you have another one like this one..i would do is make sure that nothing has moved...is missing...and you have a advantage having more than one...you can take parts to test it too...sadly i do not have a quick fix on this one...it sounds like the button is not recognizing the input...and if your other board works well...it would be a way to see if that is the problem...hey not to sound silly...are you sure you have the correct battery and it is a good one?....i have ran across that myself that the battery is the problem...maybe the best thing to do is swap one from a known good watch or if you have another new one....i am sure we will get it sorted for you...God Bless John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i would do is just start over...if you have another one like this one..i would do is make sure that nothing has moved...is missing...and you have a advantage having more than one...you can take parts to test it too...sadly i do not have a quick fix on this one...it sounds like the button is not recognizing the input...and if your other board works well...it would be a way to see if that is the problem...hey not to sound silly...are you sure you have the correct battery and it is a good one?....i have ran across that myself that the battery is the problem...maybe the best thing to do is swap one from a known good watch or if you have another new one....i am sure we will get it sorted for you...God Bless John
Thanks for the guidance, John.

Cool - first thing I will do is get a new battery. If THAT turns out to be the problem, then party at my house tonight!

Do you think, then, if it's not the battery AND the mode button works in my other C300, that the board is ultimately the problem? I hope not - at least on eBay, there's no cheap fix to getting a replacement for that. I will examine them under the magnifying glass once I have them apart and compare the two and see if there are some obvious differences.

I'll let you know!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well i have heard that some things on the boards can be repaired..but try the battery first...i hope it is a easy fix...well if you change out the parts...you will know for sure which one it is....it could just be one component on the board that is causing all the issues too..God Bless and please keep me updated too...John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No good - the battery was fine, but I put in a new one, and had the same problem.

So I took the mode button from my other C300 and put it in, and it behaved the same way - it will change modes, but pulling it out didn't get the digits to blink.

Then I compared the two, from what I could see by looking under the magnifier, though I didn't try to disassemble either one (I'm suffering a huge head cold, and delicate surgery is not part of my itinerary in this condition), but there were no obvious pieces missing, both looked identical.

I wish I'd seen a little part waving a flag that said, "Fix me!" but that wasn't the case. I will have to take it apart and hopefully I can get some good pictures of the board and such - maybe something will be evident once it's been dismantled. Hopefully it can be fixed and I can mantle it back together.

I presume that Citizen will no longer service this particular model.

·
Craftsman
518 Posts
Citizen in the UK will service the C300. In my experience this is simply a module (movement) swap out, retaining the hands and dial.

When you say that you can't see anything wrong, what are you actually looking at?

In order to see what might be causing the problem you are going to have to get to this point:

you will then be able to inspect the underside of the PCB, and you will also be able to see the mode select and reset switches.

From what you describe, I think your problem is either caused by poor contact from the reset switch to the PCB, or incorrect functioning of the reset switch.

The former will either be dirt / debris on the PCB, easily solved by cleaning, or because the reset lever isn't making contact with the PCB, relatively easily solved by bending the lever appropriately (though this requires great care).

If the lever isn't functioning correctly then you have a bigger problem which will need you to take the bridge off to see what is wrong

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well that is great info Sir Alan...i knew someone would chime in...thank you so much...God Bless John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy moly! Thanks a lot Sir Alan!! That's a great help!

There goes my Sunday!

I know I'm new here, but you guys are incredibly helpful, I really appreciate it.

S1

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum, but I may have found the problem with the broken mode switch for C300's. When I started looking into mine, I found a broken post holding the spring arm for the contact arm. I can't seem to upload an image, but it's the further of the two posts holding the spring arm in place. Trying some glue on the post overnight. Will see tomorrow how well it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after a 5 month hiatus, I am back. Where does the time go?

Now I have to try and do everything Sir Alan suggested and see if I can get something happening in the first Navihawk.

Hey Geos00 - did you get your mode switch working with the glue?

Additionally, here's a situation - I have a Blue Angels where the analog works and the digital LCD doesn't, and another Blue Angels where the digital works - I can set / reset the digital time, no problem - but the analog doesn't, the minute hand doesn't move. Is there a way to combine the two parts to get ONE working watch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Forum,

I have recently acquired this 1st gen. Navihawk (Blue Angels ver.), and I'm disappointed to discover that it also has this mode button issue (pulling out the mode button won't make the watch go into settings mode). When I got this watch, the seller claimed that all it needed was a fresh battery. I took the watch home in good faith only to discover this problem. :(

I am really drawn by the aesthetics of this circa 1990s watch, and I'd really like to get this watch working again. Morever, my itch to take this watch apart grew, and this issue gave me a good reason to justify taking it apart. :grin:

I found Sir Alan's article / post on 'The Watch Forum.co.uk' in which he serviced his Navisail, which has a C320 calibre. Well, the C300 calibre should not be that different, so I studied his article carefully. Also, below is an image from the C300 service manual, for handy reference on the name of the parts.

Upon removing the train wheel bridge, I studied how the stem actuates the mode wheel and the switch spring. I noted that the switch spring is not moving when the stem is pulled out. The reason is because the switch actuating spring is not actually pushing against the stem. See image below. The switch actuating spring (orange arrow) should be pressing against the switch spring (red arrow) so that when the stem is pulled out, the switch actuating spring will force the switch spring to move, thus, telling the PCB that the watch should enter set-mode.

Analyzing why the switch actuating spring is not touching the switch spring as it should (by gently rocking it to-&-fro with a tweezer), I noticed that one plastic peg is loose (red arrow; orange box is the zoomed-in image above).

Upon removing the switch actuating spring, I discovered that the plastic peg has actually broken off from the main plastic assembly (red arrow below). I almost lost that little peg! :eek:

I took some super-glue and glued the peg back in place (blue arrow below). Believe me, my patience was pushed to the limit, dabbing just the right amount of a teenie bit of super glue, and placing that little peg back on position...

Finally, after reassembling back the watch (another test of patience on getting the train wheel bridge back on)... IT WORKED! I have made the mode/set button alive again! :D

Having set the correct time on the watch, it now sits happily on my wrist. :cool:

I hope this can help the others out there with similar problems. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi tenchi, i just read your post above. That was some impressive work. I'm not too sure i could handle a fix like that. I eventually do most of my watch repairs with a 16ounce claw hammer. ;-))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts