The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that this info isn't hot off the presses by any stretch, but I recently became aware that Citizen is releasing a smart watch. Honestly, it looks pretty nice from a design perspective - case looks akin to a chrono with the pusher setup, plus a decent looking dive bezel. The features and menu navigation will be a deciding factor, but this may be the watch to finally make me try out a smart watch. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
well i like my no frills regular watches
and have no plans for a smart watch in my future
closest thing i ever got was a Solar Atomic G Shock which i actually loved
but awesome that you like it my dear friend
thank you for sharing this with us
God Bless,John
stay safe out there

·
Registered
383 Posts
No thanks. Had one. Got rid of a fully stealth GDX-6900 to accommodate it. Hated it after a week.
The one good thing I can say about it is that if I hadn't had it I would not have ditched it in favour of the `zilla.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No thanks. Had one. Got rid of a fully stealth GDX-6900 to accommodate it. Hated it after a week.
The one good thing I can say about it is that if I hadn't had it I would not have ditched it in favour of the `zilla.
You had this Citizen model, or are you just talking smart watches in general?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want a smart watch, I don't need a smart watch, I don't want to charge my watch every night !!!!

But like you I quite fancy one of those :)
That's sort of where I'm at. I've read some reviews that the battery life isn't great owing to an older processor that's not as efficient. Maybe I'll wait for v2.0? 🤔

·
Special Member
11,725 Posts
they are late to the game and that market is now mature and very crowded. I doubt they have much chance of success. IMO it's a waste of time and money for them.

Reactions: nzwatchdoctor

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry OP. I mean smart watches in general. I had a different one.
What use are they anyway?
My phone is usually within reach and if it isn't who cares?
Seriously, if you were standing up with your hands by your side how far from your watch is your smart phone?
Step counts? What a load of nonsense. If people need to exercise they should exercise.
Bloody thing gave me a thrombo' every time it beeped.

·
Special Member
11,725 Posts
I have a Gen 2 Apple Watch and love it. Use it for my workouts as a heart rate monitor. They have their place and their uses.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Gen 2 Apple Watch and love it. Use it for my workouts as a heart rate monitor. They have their place and their uses.
I'm with you on that. The closest I've ever come to buying a smart watch, to date, was when I seriously considered getting a Garmin watch for running - mostly for the distance tracking, HR monitoring, and Spotify - but then covid hit and I just started working out inside. :)

Sorry OP. I mean smart watches in general. I had a different one.
What use are they anyway?
My phone is usually within reach and if it isn't who cares?
Seriously, if you were standing up with your hands by your side how far from your watch is your smart phone?
Step counts? What a load of nonsense. If people need to exercise they should exercise.
Bloody thing gave me a thrombo' every time it beeped.
You've hit on my hesitance to get one so far - that is, why get one when my phone is always with me? The only counterpoint being that some of the functions make sense while exercising when I don't want to carry a phone (i.e., see above). But then I keep thinking, why not a stands-on-its-own exercise watch with the few dedicated functions I'm actually interested in (like the garmin) vs. a smart watch that either replaces a phone or has to act as an extension of one.

Anyway, the Citizen, IMO, is certainly one of the nicest looking smart watches I've seen so far...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I question why anyone needs to track their heart rate unless they are seriously ill or a professional athlete.
Distance? I've got maps.
Spotify? Argh.

·
Special Member
11,725 Posts
I question why anyone needs to track their heart rate unless they are seriously ill or a professional athlete.
Distance? I've got maps.
Spotify? Argh.
Heart rate during an exercise is one measure of how much you're working out. It depends on what exercise you are doing and what your goals are. But when I run I am looking for a heart rate of above 160 BPM in the later half off my run. Google it and read up if you are interested.

·
Special Member
11,725 Posts
well that is an unfortunate characterization that certainly doesn't apply to everyone ....
My oldest daughter is vegan and I've been a runner since I was 15.

And I think our OCD-ness is fairly under control.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Heart rate during an exercise is one measure of how much you're working out. It depends on what exercise you are doing and what your goals are. But when I run I am looking for a heart rate of above 160 BPM in the later half off my run. Google it and read up if you are interested.
Oh I'm not getting into a discussion about running. Runners are almost as obsessive as vegans.
Or almost as healthy - me having been a Vegan for a good 16-17 years (Vegetarian since '96) and for years a runner (but firmly back in competitive road cycling for many years now).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't want to receive messages on my watch, I don't care about my steps, heart rate, or if it is time to move around again (seriously????). I just want my watch to be hassle free and to display the time. I tried smart watches and I just don't see the point for me. They became a nuisance quick and were sold thereafter.

I'm glad others find them useful for them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've been using a Samsung Active 2 for a few days now. Never thought I'd be getting one but it was gifted so thought meh why not. I quite enjoy it actually find myself wearing it often and going through all the watch faces while my Seikos sit in the box. Maybe just a phase.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My Aqualand C023 tells me when I am at crush depth. How much smarter does any Citizen watch need to be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I already have a minicomputer on me pretty much all the time. I don't want another smaller minicomputer strapped on me. All the monitoring stuff on there is kinda silly imo.
If you workout hard, you know if you are doing it right or not. How many steps did I take today? I hiked six miles with a 25lb pack. You know how many steps that was? Alot.:cool:

I think we are already surrounded by too many computers breaking down our lives minute by minute.
I like tech, but I have plenty of tech. Of which the designs aren't really very beautiful or interesting at all.

I want a watch that celebrates and connects me to the beautiful, analog, mechanical past. When people did wonderful amazing things with analog technology. When people designed something to be functional, but beautiful as well. Because if we aren't looking and exposed to beautiful things on the regular, we live lesser lives.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts