Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Im looking for a replacement lens for the Citizen Homer Railway watch
or information on where I would find part number etc
Thanking you in advance:great:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm also looking for one, did you ever find it?

Usually, one can look up the replacement crystal by referencing the case number on the back of the watch. With the railway issued watches, there's no case number on the back, only an engraving with the year issued and the rail line. I know they used the same case from about 1969-1981 for all of the mechanical Homer "second setting" watches.

Surely someone has replaced one of these crystals by now?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay, so I finally got this sorted. The original acrylic crystal has an internal tension ring to hold it tight. The ring has a shoulder underneath, which is sized so that the dial just fits in. I tried a GS Step-tite 33.0 crystal, which has a similar stepped tension ring. The ring was a good match visually, and the step fit the dial just right. I pressed it in place, and the crystal fits the case tightly, but the sides of the crystal are too tall, and it doesn't match the profile of the original.

I think Sternkreuz has a similar stepped tension ring crystal, but all I could find in the US was the regular, non-stepped version at Jules Borel. I ordered the same 33.0 size. The tension ring was narrower, and exposed the notch in the dial at 3 o'clock. I swapped out the tension ring from the GS Step-tite, which fits the Sternkreuz crystal very well. With this combination, I have a good fit in the case, the tension ring covers the same amount of dial as the original, and the profile of the crystal viewed from the side looks the same.

BTW, the original tension ring will not fit either one of the newer crystals. The acrylic crystals are not expensive, so if it takes a combination of two for the best fit, it's a small price.

edit grammar/typos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts