The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a chance to post much recently due to a new job, but am now happy to share my latest acquisition!

I have been looking for a solar-powered GMT watch for ages; seems to me to be the perfect travel watch - no batteries to worry about, quartz grab-and-go convenience, GMT function, and you can set the hour hand independently of the rest. Found this gem by posting some WTBs (and waaaaaaaaaitng!).

Bezel insert was a bit marked up so I called Citizen to see if new bezels and/or inserts were available (side note - Citizen seems much more game to sell parts to consumers than Seiko). A new bezel (only sold as bezel + insert) was $60! I asked further, and it turns out an entire new case assembly (crystal, back, bezel - the works) is only $65. So, for the added price of a few lattes I sprung for the new case assembly, and it looks damn good IMO.

Interesting technical note - in comparison to my Seiko GMTs (8F56 and 5M65), pulling the stem to the first click allows the hour/date to be set independently on both Citizen and Seiko, but pulling to the second click sets ALL hands on the Citizen (hour included), but on the Seikos only sets the min and GMT hands - much easier to set the GMT independently on the Seiko.

Anyway, that's all. Happy Saturday, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great pic! I considered that watch, but thought that the case might be too big for my wrist. Looks just about right in your pic though....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting technical note - in comparison to my Seiko GMTs (8F56 and 5M65), pulling the stem to the first click allows the hour/date to be set independently on both Citizen and Seiko, but pulling to the second click sets ALL hands on the Citizen (hour included), but on the Seikos only sets the min and GMT hands - much easier to set the GMT independently on the Seiko.
On your Seiko, doesn't the hour hand move forward and backwards on the 1st click? My Seiko GMT (SLT009P) works that way while with the Citizen (I have the same one as you), the hour hand only moves forward.

The Citizen is a nice watch though mine doesn't get as much wrist time as probably it deserves.

Matt

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On your Seiko, doesn't the hour hand move forward and backwards on the 1st click? My Seiko GMT (SLT009P) works that way while with the Citizen (I have the same one as you), the hour hand only moves forward.

The Citizen is a nice watch though mine doesn't get as much wrist time as probably it deserves.

Matt
You are correct - that's one of the nice things about the Seiko, you can just click the hour hand one way when you set off on your travels, and click it back when you return. With the Citizen you have to reset the whole thing one one leg of your trip (depending if you travel east to west, or vice versa)...which can be a bit of a pain if this requires a date change!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts