The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Cape Town.
At the risk of boring everyone, I thought I'd post a follow up to my request last week.
My Skyhawk died, the digital display was blank and the hands stopped in arbitrary positions, not at 12.
Despite long exposure to direct sunlight, nothing happened to improve the situation.
I was advised to replace the energy cell, so in preparation for that, I removed the old one. The operation was going to be very pricey. A new cell in South Africa is hard to come by and costs a fortune - around 70 USD. I hadn't ordered one yet, fortunately!
I checked the voltage on the old cell and found it was about 2.1 volts.
Just for fun I cleaned the cell a bit and popped it back in and the watch came back to immediate life!
Everything was working the way it should and the indicator showed a full charge.
I reset everything and to my joy the watch seems to be back from the dead.
I wonder if the removal and replacement of the cell had an effect?
Any opinions out there?
Stay safe and well all.

Attachments

·
Special Member
3,005 Posts
Now that’s a result and something I’ve not tried I’ve always just replaced the cell

·
Veteran Member
28,771 Posts
Excellent finding, Sometimes we all need a little shove :) This thread will not be forgotten...

·
Registered
231 Posts
The MT920 battery that powers all of the Citizen C650-51-52 movements has a very robust charge/discharge lifespan, and very rarely wears out, especially if it is kept at least nominally charged. If you had just shorted the positive to the negative trace on the circuit the watch would have reset itself, without removing the battery. One of the best movements that Citizen has made. The newer U600 and U680 movements have a tendency to eat up batteries, problem being that the newer CTL920 batteries cannot charge and discharge with the same capacity as the MT920. To make matters a bit worse, removing the back from the newer cases isn't just a matter of unscrewing it. It's almost like Citizen wants you to send in the watch........................................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts