The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Citizen Eco-Drive PC, model BL1184-56L is celebrating its 14th year of uninterrupted service this month. Any others have similar Eco-Drives going as long or longer?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My Caliber 2100 is doing great after about 11 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I find the capacitors last about 15 - 20 years and almost nothing else goes wrong with them (I used to be a watchmaker for Citizen NZ).

Can't ask for better :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Theoretically, if the battery is not allowed to discharge, it should last forever. This is more the case with the MT920 battery than it is with the CTL920, as the MT can cycle up to 500 times, the CTL only 100. And when Citizen advertises these Eco Drive watches as 'Never needs a battery', they're lying to you. In an oblique fashion perhaps, but lying none the less. Take the 'battery' that an Eco Drive watch never needs, out of the movement, and put it in a dark environment. I've replaced batteries in Calibre 2100 movements many, many times.

·
Registered
29,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theoretically, if the battery is not allowed to discharge, it should last forever. This is more the case with the MT920 battery than it is with the CTL920, as the MT can cycle up to 500 times, the CTL only 100. And when Citizen advertises these Eco Drive watches as 'Never needs a battery', they're lying to you. In an oblique fashion perhaps, but lying none the less. Take the 'battery' that an Eco Drive watch never needs, out of the movement, and put it in a dark environment. I've replaced batteries in Calibre 2100 movements many, many times.

I seem to be testing the "theoretically lasts forever" as none of my Eco-Drives have ever discharged completely. Nearest was one that ticked in 2-second intervals until charged more. The E760 movement has power-save modes so is not likely to ever discharge in normal use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Citizen Titanium Skyhawk C650, and a E812 Perpetual calendar model, both of which are close to 15 years old, and have never let them run down, they're both operating flawlessly. The Calibre 2100, on the other hand, seems to go through CTL920's. That watch has an absolutely stunning dial face, especially when viewed illuminated from an angle. The only way that Citizen could pull this off on an Eco Drive watch is by making the dial face solid. The only light striking the solar panel is though the four sub-dial faces, and that isn't much.

Attachments

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Norm Sir both my Zilla and Ti Zilla Both gave up the Ghost after 11yrs.
Both needing new Capacitors and they were never opened in that time.my Ti Zilla is with Guy as we speak for a service and new Capacitor.
It had also accompanied me on every Freedive competition I ever did.
My Ti Orca is still going strong as are a few other Ecos I have.

·
Registered
29,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norm Sir both my Zilla and Ti Zilla Both gave up the Ghost after 11yrs.
Both needing new Capacitors and they were never opened in that time.my Ti Zilla is with Guy as we speak for a service and new Capacitor.
It had also accompanied me on every Freedive competition I ever did.
My Ti Orca is still going strong as are a few other Ecos I have.

So, as with any other product, "Your results may vary".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts