The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Citizen E-2100 (white) has operated flawlessly over the last few years and kept almost perfect time. That has not changed. What I've noticed, however, is that the charge status indicator is showing a variable state. By that, I mean when outdoors or exposed to good light for a period...the indicator shows a high state of charge. When moved indoors or to darkness, the indicator drops to about 1/4. I've never seen this amount of variability in the indicator.

My electrical troubleshooting experience leads me to believe that the battery/capacitor may be starting to fail? What other issues might be at work here? If work is required, is Citizen USA the place to send it for service?

--John in San Antonio

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Nope. My brand new citizen 2100 was doing exactly the same and all it needed was a good hour under direct sunlight. This doesn't mean the holding battery is failing (Eco-Drives don't use capacitors, BTW) to keep a charge, actually the indicator is doing its job and its telling you that it needs a bit more light in order to achieve a full charge state.

Citizen estimates that the Li-on Panasonic recharging cell will still retain nearly 80% charge capacity by the time your watch is 22 years old. Of course, the jury is still out on that as the oldest Eco-Drives watches are 15 years old.

Last, but not least, here is the recharging guide for your caliber E2100:

ECHNICAL INFORMATION
Please use the print command in your browser to print this page.

Movement Caliber:​
E210
Maximum Power Reserve at Full Charge:
240 Days
Low Charge Warning:
7 Days
Quick Start:
No
Charge Time from Stop State
For 1 Day Use
Full Charge
Indoors, Office (500 Lux)
3.5 Hours
Usually, overhead office light is insufficient to achieve a full charge from a completely depleted power reserve. We recommend that you use natural outdoor light, or an incandescant light source 20" from the watch for charging a watch in this state. However, office light is sufficient for keeping your watch continually charged.

Incandescant 20" (3,000 Lux)
150 Hours
Outdoors, cloudy (10,000 Lux)
45 Hours
Outdoors, Sunny (100,000 Lux)
8.5 Hours

Please Note:After a full recharge from a low or no charge state, it will be necessary to perform an all reset and in some cases a 0-positioning. If this is not done, your watch may not operate correctly.
For simple analog models, pull the crown out the time setting position, leave there for 30 seconds, return the crown to the closed position next to the case, then set the time. For other than simple analog models (perpetual calendar, multi-function and specialty pieces), please refer to your instruction manual or the instruction sets on our web site for the all reset and 0-positioning procedures.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
964 Posts
minidriver said:
Citizen estimates that the Li-on Panasonic recharging cell will still retain nearly 80% charge capacity by the time your watch is 22 years old. ....
But this is meant under optimal conditions without full discharge, isn't it?

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had several days wearing the watch 24 hours....last weekend...full sunlight during several hours on Saturday and Sunday. The indicator got as high as 3/4 or so....then dropped back to 1/4 after moving indoors. From what I'm reading...it sounds like the real test would be to leave it directly exposed to an incandescent lamp for 8 to 10 hours and see what the result would be.

I'll do that and report back. Would I be right to assume that continued irregular indication after this effort could be a symptom of a problem?

--John

·
Registered
68 Posts
the lamp wont solve this.
you need to leave it in a sunlit place, but better not direct sunlight as the case will get too hot.
after 4 hours, the problem should be gone for good.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Only sunlight will do. The lamp doesn't enough light intensity to quickly charge up the cells to optimal levels.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
txredleg said:
I've had several days wearing the watch 24 hours....last weekend...full sunlight during several hours on Saturday and Sunday. The indicator got as high as 3/4 or so....then dropped back to 1/4 after moving indoors. From what I'm reading...it sounds like the real test would be to leave it directly exposed to an incandescent lamp for 8 to 10 hours and see what the result would be.

I'll do that and report back. Would I be right to assume that continued irregular indication after this effort could be a symptom of a problem?

--John

Not until you allow the watch to be sufficiently charged under sunlight, you can not really assume an underlying problem. Try that first, then get back to us.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've five 2100/210s and a bunch of other E-Ds. All who recommend sunlight know what of they speak. I had one that took about three days of direct sunlight to fully charge and no problem since. I suspect it had set in a box for years before I bought it new.

All the best.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts