The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just have a B741 Divers watch from around 16 years and the battery or capacitor does not hold the charge longer than a week.

I have located the parts and gasket to change them, as I have done for years on all my watches, but I was told that these cases are open in a clockwise rotation, as opposed to other watches.

Is there any service manual for this watch or advice from anybody who has worked on this watch, I sent the watch to a service center and they could not open it and I don't want to damage the case more than it is right now.

I have added a couple of pictures.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards, B741-H555-39KA Back.jpeg B741-H555-39KA Front.jpeg

Roberto

·
Registered
127 Posts
I really doubt your info about in which direction the case back unscrews. Citizen may do some wacky crap with crystal sizes, but going way around the bend on how something unscrews would be a stretch, even for them. All of the Aqualand cases I have opened do require a special 'wrench'.

Aloha from #50

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm with Holonalu - I doubt reverse threading on the caseback - where'd you hear this from? Was it a Citizen service center that you sent the watch to, or a general watch repair?

My guess is that you'll need this to get it open if it's really that badly stuck:

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is one important aspect of re-installing the case back that a lot of folks overlook, especially on a dive watch. It is essential that you not only lubricate the rubber gasket, but you also have to lubricate the case back where the gasket sits, prior to tightening. For a professional job the case back and gasket should also be cleaned, thoroughly. Failure to do so will result in the gasket binding on the case as you tighten, and pinching, thus ruining any continuous seal, and rendering the case not water tight. I see this all the time, when the batteries are replaced, and the back just thrown back on.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Who butchered the cut outs?!

I was a watchmaker for Citizen NZ - there was never a left handed back thread.

A good Jaxa tool (that every watchmaker uses) could still do it. The case needs to be securely mounted so downward as well as undoing pressure can be exerted.

You don't need a special tool above - it's still likely to slip.

You could try some penetrating oil around the seal.

You could glue a stick or rod across the case back and then try the above again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your comments, certainly I doubted the reverse opening direction and what I guess is that the jeweler center I sent this watch for opening and changing the capacitor, just overtighted the case and produced the damage shown on the pictures.

I will try penetrating oil and have a try with a better Jaxa Tool.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your replies.

Regards,

Roberto

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your comments, certainly I doubted the reverse-opening direction and what I guess is that the jeweler center I sent this watch for opening and changing the capacitor, just overtightened the case and produced the damage shown on the pictures.

I will try penetrating oil and have a try with a better Jaxa Tool.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Roberto

·
Registered
127 Posts
Judging by your pictures someone has already f##ked up the back with a jaxa wrench, which is a pity, as titanium is not easy to bring back after it has been scratched like that. I would consider sending it out to someone who has the tools and knows what they are doing. The Horotec case back opener with the proper 'socket' isn't worth the cost if you're only going to use it once, but any more damage to the back will only further detract from the value and appearance of the watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Holonalu,

Yes, the first guy I sent the watch for battery change couldn't open the case and decided to try in the closing direction, as according to him, he has seen diver's watches that are open that way, he just overtightened the case.

Anyway, he causes a lot of damage to the case back but after following "nzwatchdoctor" advice I use penetrating oil waited a couple of hours and finally open the case back.

Changed the battery and the watch is working perfectly well.

Now will send the back of the case to another person to try to recover and polish it, while I get from eBay a used one.

Thanks to all for your advices, so now I can keep using my watch that I bought 16 years ago!

Regards,

Roberto.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whatever you do,, DON'T try and polish the titanium, that will ruin it. I always use a Bergeon satin finish 6085-E2 wheel on titanium, never a wheel with rouge. And, in my humble Island opinion, a 16 year old watch is fairly new.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

Great advice, will look for that wheel to try to recover the case.

Thanks.

Regards,

Roberto.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hi,

Great advice, will look for that wheel to try to recover the case.

Thanks.

Regards,

Roberto.
I'm glad that worked for you ;-)

In all my years doing this I have never come across a watch back with left hand thread.

Perhaps (it'll be hard to find) you could look for the same or similar model back that is stainless
steel.

Regards, Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts