The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one example of a Citizen Cutlass, produced in 1969, and I have rarely seen any other examples. I've seen a very few others on internet searches, with 30 or 33 jewels (mine has 27). Translation from Japanese suggests that the Cutlass variant was produced in the late 1960s, was fairly high end (although it doesn't have a fine adjuster), and was one of the thinnest models at that time. Subject to the vagaries of on-line translation, it appears that it was an expensive model - quoting 40k+ JPY (but I'm not sure whether this referred to original retail price or current value).

Does anyone have one of these and/or any information on the model? It seems to be quite a rare piece, I can't remember seeing another one for sale since I got mine about 18 months ago...

Pics:

Sweephand

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh man sweep...that thing is sexy! I've never seen one...how thin is it? Looks nice and legible I really like the case

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's a real beauty, I agree. I have never seen one or even heard the name before. I really love that design! Thanks for showing.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbdan said:
Oh man sweep...that thing is sexy! I've never seen one...how thin is it? Looks nice and legible I really like the case
Hi, the watch is a shade over 10mm - it's not significantly thinner than other Citizens I have from that time, and it uses a 52xx movement as is found in some of their other watches. I guess the cases were 'slimline' rather than the movement itself. Citizen's famous thin watch was the Diamond Flake with which they 'beat' the Seiko Gold Feather in the thinnest watch stakes in the 1960's.

Sweephand

·
Banned
72 Posts
I picked one up a couple of years ago off the 'bay. Wish I could find out more about it too. Runs smoothly and keeps excellent time.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Gerry - nice to see another Cutlass :) What are the case and serial numbers on yours? Looks like these watches were produced around 1969 / 1970, maybe only for a short while, which would explain why they are rarely seen. The case number on mine, which was produced in 1969, is 4-260066K - now that might indicate that the movement would be a 26xx, since that is typically how its done. However, that's not the case in my case (double pun intended ::) ) since mine houses a 5260 movement. That makes sense since the 52xx movements were in use at that time, for example in the 'Monthly' and some diver models. Manage to get a pic of the movement # in mine:

Cheers,
Sweephand

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice Citizen - that cross hairs dial is true 1960's style. I'm sure the high jewel count Cutlass was a real cutting edge design 40 years ago! ;D

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this thread still going? as I have a very rare cutlass I think from 1960 or 70? , as per pic, any thoughts?
It's alive now! :)

What you have is not the original Cutlass, which was a mid-range slim automatic, but a later model which borrowed the name. Yours is a bit more humble, using the 02 'Homer' manual wind movement. A good movement all the same. It's from 1970.

Stephen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts