The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I recently bought this Citizen watch off the bay for 40 pounds on a whim as I thought it looked nice. I don't know much about watches, and I had no idea how old this watch was, but a bit of googling led me to this forum. So here are the details I have so far, and I would appreciate any more info on this watch.

Citizen Crystron
Case Type GN-4W-S?
Case No: 4-871031 TA
Serial No: 60702042?

Stainless steel case with a flat mineral crystal glass which looks like a replacement since it is scratch free. The watch crown that has CQ (I think for Citizen Quartz) stamped on it.
The dial is a very attractive blue, with 2 horizontal bands that are a slightly different hue that show up very nicely in sunlight. The band is metal, and looks original.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
VERY nice :cool:, think you got that for a good price. Contrary to it's appearance, that watch is almost 39 years old, manufactured in October 1976. I do like the 1970's Crystrons, my only analogue one is this Solar quartz one from 1977, though I have got a couple of digital ones .

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well welcome to the forum...glad to have you with us....great buy and that is one i would love to find myself....and wow...those are gorgeous watches.....really like them both..well Sweephand will chime in i am sure....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info John. Didn't realise the watch is almost as old as I am, one year younger but in much better condition ��

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm no quartz expert, but I have a parts catalog from 1977 and the 8700 movement isn't listed there. The 85xx, 86xx and 9xxx (for women's watches?) quartz movements appear. I think the 85xx was the first quartz Citizen brought to the market. So I reckon your watch is more likely from 1986 rather than the 1970s.

Stephen

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm no quartz expert, but I have a parts catalog from 1977 and the 8700 movement isn't listed there. The 85xx, 86xx and 9xxx (for women's watches?) quartz movements appear. I think the 85xx was the first quartz Citizen brought to the market. So I reckon your watch is more likely from 1986 rather than the 1970s.

Stephen
I bow to your superior knowledge Stephen, should have realised as my Crystron solar has the 8620A movement, which I know was also fitted in non solar analogue watches of the same period:undecided:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
All very interesting. A bit more googling using 'Crystron' in Japanese text yielded this page with a watch that has the same case type, and a case number that also starts with a 4-87.

http://www.antiwatchman.com/J-4919
Google translation of that page:-

"Chris Tron CRYSTRON ···

Citizen quartz Chris Tron CRYSTRON · J-4919
Citizen Quartz Citizen Quartz Citizen quartz
Citizen Quartz Citizen Quartz Citizen quartz
Citizen Quartz
If you click on the six small images will be displayed each of the enlarged image.
Item No. J-4919
Product Name Citizen quartz Chris Tron CRYSTRON
Selling price (including tax) 40,000 yen
Sales Sold Out
Manufacturing age Move 1970s quartz
Popular lineup of features sales point Citizen quartz watch, is Chris Tron. The Chris Tron Citizen has launched the quartz watch in 1973, Chris Tron finest machine that has been produced as a ground quartz and quartz King of counterparts. Body, belt you are using the SS material, especially metal mass, such as carved cases drifts luxury is impressive. Dial has become containing design of vertical line, which also has to elaborate make it reminiscent of the climate of the time. It is inferior to the self-winding watch luxury machine at the time.
Condition scratch
Breath of frames and accessories dial especially noticeable large stains, scratches, etc. are kept without clean state. Case and back cover there is a store on attrition and light little scratch. Big hit scratches noticeably, is generally clean condition damage can not be seen even here, such as dent. Back cover there are still sealed. Windshield is clean. There are also storage on attrition and light little scratch breath, but the extent corresponds around 19cm If you include the adjuster in good condition. Accessory is the tag.
Day difference size Date difference is not a problem in the quartz. Case size vertical 39mm, it is next to 35mm (excluding crown)"

Interestingly their advertised price (now sold out) of 40,000Yen equates to £223, so I recon you got a bargain at 40 quid! :cool:

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
This is one of the rare occasions that I will disagree with Stephen. I do believe that this is a 1976 model.

Unfortunately I do not have a 1976 catalog but the 1977 June catalog does list the 8700 in the movements table at the back.

I also noticed that the 1974 December catalog lists these two models with 4-87xxx case numbers.

By the mid 80's the Crystron branding is not really seen anymore and instead a myriad of sub-brands dominate the line up.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This is one of the rare occasions that I will disagree with Stephen. I do believe that this is a 1976 model.

Unfortunately I do not have a 1976 catalog but the 1977 June catalog does list the 8700 in the movements table at the back.

I also noticed that the 1974 December catalog lists these two models with 4-87xxx case numbers.
I did say I was no quartz expert ;)

Great spot Anthony - I'd been through the images in that catalog, and no 8700 Crystrons are featured, nor could I find a reference in the 1979 catalog. Looks like it was not a widely used movement, but you are dead right it was from 1976. Apols to the OP for misleading info.

The two watches in your scan from the 1974 catalog are Cosmotron 'specials' (with the button at 8 o'clock). They use the 7800 movement, but have 4-87xxxx case numbers - confusing to say the least!!

Stephen

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Great spot Anthony - I'd been through the images in that catalog, and no 8700 Crystrons are featured, nor could I find a reference in the 1979 catalog. Looks like it was not a widely used movement, but you are dead right it was from 1976. Apols to the OP for misleading info.
It does look like that watch was only made for a very short period and the 8700 was not too common. I do not see it in a 1975/76 catalog that I have so I will have to keep an eye out for the 1976 and Jan 77 catalogs.

The two watches in your scan from the 1974 catalog are Cosmotron 'specials' (with the button at 8 o'clock). They use the 7800 movement, but have 4-87xxxx case numbers - confusing to say the least!!
That does make a lot of sense as I did not think the 8700 was that early. In fact the 77 catalog indicated that the 8700 was only first sold in Feb 77 but watches are obviously produced for a few months before a model is released.

The numbering is definitely confusing, does the ECT-W78X indicate the movement or is it just your familiarity with the line up that you know the movement?

I do find Citizen's a lot more difficult to figure out their coding when compared to Seiko.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look like I came to the right place :) Thankyou to all who posted with information, its great to find out a bit of the history of these watches, and even better to find out I got a bargain!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The numbering is definitely confusing, does the ECT-W78X indicate the movement or is it just your familiarity with the line up that you know the movement?

I do find Citizen's a lot more difficult to figure out their coding when compared to Seiko.
I know the Cosmotron line-up anyway so recognised them, so I hadn't really looked at those codes (not every watch has them, and not every catalog includes them). But having had a look now, I reckon ECT-W78X = Electronic Cosmotron, W = Day/date, 78 = 7800 movement, and X = 'Special'. The non-'special' Cosmotrons (i.e. no button at 8 o'clock) are 'ECT-W78'. I notice that date only movements are coded 'C' rather than 'W'.

Stephen

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have just acquired and revived this one which I presume must date to July 1976. It now needs a clean, careful polish and a new crystal.
Does anyone know if I have to remove the bezel or just push it out from inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't know seikotone but if you want I can PM you the ebay sellar who I bought mine off? They probably serviced it, or would know the person who did?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats a nice watch. I like how that case is so 1970's like and is in very good shape for that age. Is the crystal glass or plastic?

I think the Crystron was Citizen's answer to Seiko's SQ lineup. I am starting to look into the Crystron line of watches as the Vintage Seiko quartz pickings on ebay are slim and expensive. The only trouble is that the ones I have found are all gold tone and I hate gold plated watches.

It looks like that movement was very short lived. If Citizen's quartz watch line was like Seiko Quartz watches of the era, it might have one of several movements in it.

My 1977 Seiko 4004 "triple day language" says hello

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts