The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well good news looks like this is running now- found a sealed battery in my parts, and managed to get the hour hand moving - circled the dial a few times now it’s up and running
Thanks all for the help just need a battery tab and a alarm spring ‘thing’
Maybe get a pukka crystal from cousins

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well good news looks like this is running now- found a sealed battery in my parts, and managed to get the hour hand moving - circled the dial a few times now it’s up and running
Thanks all for the help just need a battery tab and a alarm spring ‘thing’
Maybe get a pukka crystal from cousins
Brilliant news! Cousins has the parts and original crystal which is about GBP20 with post and there's no generic equivalent as it's a 29.8mm dome. You can do what I did and buy a 30.0mm crystal and shave it down to 29.8! Looks amateurish but it works!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always use a 2.25mm x 29.8mm, get them from ST Supply, about 2.50 per. Advantage of a flat crystal over domed is no distortion at an angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks John
Don’t like to jinx things but with this and my 7549 feel i am on a good run

·
Registered
145 Posts
Citizen kind of has you at their advantage when it comes to some crystal sizes. Both the C300 and the C650 versions of the Blue Angels watches use 29.8 and 28.8 diameter crystals, and, to emulate the original as best you can, a 2.25 mm thick crystal is the best fit, it's surface ends flush with the inner data ring. I've been restoring some of the earlier Moon Phase Citizen watches with the 8651 movement, same thing, a 2.00 crystal is too narrow, and the 2.50 mm sticks out a bit too much. On the later Blue Angels AT watches, as well as the Skyhawk, with the U600 movement, a 33.8mm x 2.5mm crystal fits perfect......... The mysteries of Citizen watch company.... Just finished repairing a E210 movement, amp dial was stuck, opened it up, and it looked like someone had been in there with an oil gun, the only folks who had been in there were the guys at the factory.. Aloha from #50

·
Registered
431 Posts
Brilliant result! So is that a flat crystal? I think I'll try one the next time I order from Cousins.
Here's mine with the "Ceylonese" domed crystal-

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is the flat, MG 2.25 28.8 on a Citizen Blue Angels C650, restored watch with new data rings. I just think it looks a lot cleaner, no distortion, flush with the data ring, and about 10% the cost of a Citizen genuine crystal.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well I bought an Accurist super cheep to rob the alarm spring for my BA
Now crystal and it looks pretty good
I’ve given it to a mate
Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
I have that exact same model that I won for cheap too. I was going to take the movement out for another C300 but ultimately decided to wear it on a black rally strap. I might paint all the hands white as it has too much 'bling' with the chromed indices and hands!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just listed this one over on the Bay. Got it as 'may just need a battery', but when I opened it up, and got the metal plate and bridge off, it looked like some microscopic drunk on an equally tiny D8 had been grubbing through the gears trying to level the surface. Missing a rotor, two gear stems popped off in the bridge socket, switching spring where it shouldn't be, main plate all beaten up. A veritable cornucopia of horological f##kups. Put together a new movement out of spares, new crystal, alarm spring, (Jules Borel, about 3.50 USD, there's a crapload of those orbiting Saturn, that and bracelet links, after all, they have to be somewhere). Came out looking like new. I think these are being appreciated more and more, beautiful watch for the money, and who cares if it isn't NIST sync'd.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts